Notices

It's the anxiety that does me in... PLEASE READ!!!!

Old 01-01-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's the anxiety that does me in... PLEASE READ!!!!

(I now have 45 hours under my belt!!!!!)

I haven't had the shakes, very little dry heaving... I am keeping in Gatorade and yogurt and juice and am looking forward to cooking at my moms tonight... yes, my heart has raced a bit... but no where NEAR pass out levels... I am able to drive, take care of my kids, talk on the phone, take a shower.... no tinglies or bad dreams... hallucinations....

In my HEAD I know I only drank for 5 days and I wasn't chugging vodka or tequila 24 hours a day... I had maybe 30 mini-wines (which trust me, I know isn't so hot) but I have detoxed from WAY worse.... I know I am going to be alright in the sense I am not going to hallucinate or seize up... given the time under my belt already.... I know the Ativan will stop seizures and so on....

SO WHY WHY WHY do I sit here reading up on DT's and freaking that I am going to die tonight?

I HATE feeling like this.... and the sedative in the ativan makes it worse... the dry mouth, larthargy, headaches, and so on....
Old 01-01-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Horrible anxiety is common during detox, when the brain goes into overdrive since no longer flooded with the sedative effect of alcohol. That said, promise me you will seek medical attention if you feel any worse. I can't know how you are feeling and don't want you to think you're fine or not fine. But if you feel worse, if the anxiety gets unbearable, please go to your hospital's ER and tell them you're withdrawing from alcohol.

I understand the anxiety too well as I relapsed more times than I can count. The first three days were awful, then on the fourth I started feeling better - but that's me. Only you know how you're feeling and whether you can stand it.

I care. Please take good care of yourself. You deserve it.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wish I had answers for you and I hope you NEVER go through this again. You said you have kids, are you married or have someone that could be with you while you sleep tonight? I also think inviting a doctor into this situation might be a good idea. I wish you well and hope you feel much better soon. Wish I could help you more.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The doctor has had me on Ativan for 2 days to stop the withdrawal symptoms and it also acts as an anti-seizure medication... it slows the brain down a bit so it doesn't wire it back up.... I have one more day of it....
Old 01-01-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are moving in the right direction. Good job!! If you have someone to watch over you that might ease "your" mind hon. That's all I meant. Take gentle care of yourself during this time and make it the last time.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are moving in the right direction, it will get easier. Please be gentle with yourself try not to look past today.