Notices

Newly discovered problem

Old 12-26-2008, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Newly discovered problem

I'm new to this whole situation, I chose to take the steps to get involved in some type of program or support because I think I may have a problem controlling my drinking behaviors. I have never allowed drinking to harm myself or others, I have never looked at myself and thought I had a problem. Recently however by boyfriend of 3 years told me I drink too much and basically because of that he hates me to make it simple... I wish he understood that him being like that only makes me want to drink more? I drink on occasions, and maybe twice a week, I feel like I drink because I have trouble sleeping and I drink when I feel bad about myself. I took a quiz and it said I have a problem in the making. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do now, I feel like seeking help is silly if I don't really believe I have a problem? People shouldn't change just because others want them too, besides if I do have a problem, how do I ask for his support instead of his anger?

P.S. Just looking for answers
Old 12-26-2008, 05:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

If you wonder if you have a problem, try stopping drinking for a fixed period, say for a month and see what happens. You'll probably get your answer.

In my opinion, if your boyfriend thinks you have a problem, and you don't think you have a problem, it's going to be very hard to have a meeting of the minds. It's very hard for people who are not alcoholics, to understand those who are. That's one of the reasons that many of us come here to SR, because we understand each other.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome ina

anna said it well...

and hey, why not stop a problem before it might turn into a nightmare?
Old 12-26-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

What they said...Welcome.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Welcome. Just try and stop drinking. It never even occurred to me I had a problem till someone mentioned my drinking. It made me think maybe I was overdoing it a bit and should cut back or stop. Couldn't do it, although I tried for three years, lol!!! It only got worse!

If you can't stop on your own, you need help and support from a recovery program or at least from a place like this. It's all possible, but not alone.

LB xx
Old 12-27-2008, 03:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome!

The sooner one quits drinking...the easier it is.
I hope you find your way into a healthy sober future.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If your drinking is such that your bf noticed it and called it a problem, and you are questioning it yourself, there IS a problem cause normal drinkers don't even question their drinking.

Welcome to a great place for support. I am glad I finally got sober. It has eliminated a lot of problems for me.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Make the last drink you had, the last drink you have for a month, like Anna said. We'll be here if you need support
Old 12-27-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

I'm on my 8th Day being totally sober, thanks to the people on this website. Listen to them. Try their experiment of 30 Day dry period.

Stay completely honest with yourself, hear your inner voice if you find yourself justifying your drinking.

Look for any of the classic signs - mine biggest sign was blackouts or moments the next morning where you couldn't remember the ride (or worse the drive) home, people telling you situations that happened at the bar/party/gathering the night before and you don't remember, etc.

There are many other signs, but the true sign is that voice inside you that just knows when you are abusing. It tells you all sorts of lies, but it also tells you the truth.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dismember

Practice what you want to say to him.

You should ask for his support. He doesn't hate you. Anger doesn't always mean hate, but I know how you could be feeling because I'm particularly awful at taking my own advice in that matter. Think of how you're feeling right now. You are upset, and under the circumstances that emotion comes as if naturally. Just the same, he is human and he reacted with anger when someone he cares about was doing something that drew his concern.

Above all you should think about what you want. Your boyfriend can be valuable input, since he knows you. But the best thing to do if you have or suspect you might have an alcohol problem is to focus on your motives, wants and needs. So be kind to yourself. It's an emotional storm when you're confronted with this, but you're in a company of a lot of people who have been there--in one way or another--and we're all here for you.