Notices

Heart problems or panic attack...

Old 12-14-2008, 07:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Morning Bam,

I hope today is a good day for you.
Maybe the doc will be able to see you next week and give you some answers.
Keep on keeping on!
Old 12-15-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I have an appointment tomorrow...I'll see what happens.

I don't know if they'll refer me to a cardiologist (they better), but if they don't do enough, I'll spend all of my time worrying. I just need to convince them to do more rather than less...and I need to do that without giving the impression that I'm super paranoid.

I can live with panic attacks, but I can't live without knowing whether or not it was a dangerous irregular heartbeat that started it (...by the end of it, I was definitely panicking! ).
Old 12-15-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Please give us a report: hope all goes well at the doc!
Old 12-15-2008, 08:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hiya Bam, I have heart palpitations too. I have ventricular arrythmia and a murmur and never noticed it until a cardiologist asked me how long I'd been doing coke. I was 17 and had never done it... dude wha?... I mostly don't notice it now, but sometimes I can feel it. If I listen its quite often ... beat, beat, beat, ffffff, (nothing) (nothing) beat, beat... other patterns or just one-offs as well. Thankfully, mine is benign and I no longer need to take meds before any surgery or dental work.

Lots of things can cause it. I hope your Dr. is thorough and you find out whats going on soon.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Just got back. The doc was an f-in’ jerk (so arrogant and condescending…I think he gets his jollies off on being that way)! I think that all doctors should be required to take a basic communications course in addition to their regular studies. I could go on and on about it, but I won’t. At least he gave it to me straight.

I was told that if it happens again, go straight to the ER. I am to take one pill EVERYDAY (I hate taking pills) of the medication that was prescribed to me back in June. I am to cut out ALL stimulants: no smoking, no chocolate, no artificial sweeteners, no anything containing caffeine, and of course the biggie, no drinking.

When this happened, it was within the time period of withdrawal. That’s what he thinks it’s from...I voiced the concern about how I wanted someone to look at my heart. He doesn’t seem to think there’s a reason to at this point, based upon only taking my blood pressure and listening to my heart. Argh!

I don’t feel much better about this. Great. I’m laughing, though. Ha, ha.

He was just a floater, a sub, so I’ll be seeing someone else in the beginning of January. In the mean time, I’ll have this (probably) ridiculous fear that I’m going to suffer from cardiac arrest at any moment. I really, really hate this.

Moral of the story? Save yourself the undue worry and don’t drink.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Can you go to someone else Bam? I went to a doctor here in town and didn't like what I heard and went to the ER in the city. I felt much better because they did tests and all and the doctor here didn't even listen to my chest. I was having chest pains by the way Bam. Can you go to an ER?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
Can you go to an ER?
I will if it happens again. The next appointment I have is with a different doctor (actually, all of them are residents there...). The one I saw today just fills in when needed.

You were having chest pains? Is everything okay? I'm not really having pain, just really funky beats.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh I had chest pains and it scared the crap out of me. It was awhile back and you know when you get indigestion you get that sharp pain in your chest and it hurts to take a deep breath? That's the feeling and it went on for 10 minutes or so. I called my Mom and she came right over and we went to the local medical clinic here and the nurse said the doctor would see me but it would be at least 2 hours. Okay, someone walks into a doctor's office complaining of chest pains and the doctor will see you in 2 hours! BS! I said if he doesn't see it as an emergency then neither do I. I can be a bit of a witch at times. I still ached in the chest area the next day and went to the ER. It turns out that after much testing I had acid reflux or something like that (probably due to my drinking history). The ER doc said I did the right thing because you CAN'T tell the difference between a heart attack and what I had. I felt relieved, but angry with the in town doctor.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
Oh I had chest pains and it scared the crap out of me. It was awhile back and you know when you get indigestion you get that sharp pain in your chest and it hurts to take a deep breath? That's the feeling and it went on for 10 minutes or so. I called my Mom and she came right over and we went to the local medical clinic here and the nurse said the doctor would see me but it would be at least 2 hours. Okay, someone walks into a doctor's office complaining of chest pains and the doctor will see you in 2 hours! BS! I said if he doesn't see it as an emergency then neither do I. I can be a bit of a witch at times. I still ached in the chest area the next day and went to the ER. It turns out that after much testing I had acid reflux or something like that (probably due to my drinking history). The ER doc said I did the right thing because you CAN'T tell the difference between a heart attack and what I had. I felt relieved, but angry with the in town doctor.

Wow...Dealing with the medical community is a headache and a half. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience...I wouldn't know what to do in that situation.

I feel sorry for those who get really intimidated (I don't mean you, just thinking here...) by the whole process. Some medical professionals (certainly not all) are inept or not compassionate (and by compassionate, all I'm asking for on their part is common sense enough to know what NOT to say…DUH!).

I'm lucky in one regard--I'm paying out of pocket, so at least I don't have to deal with the B.S. insurance companies! I go in, no co-pays, and I’m done (until the bill comes…uh oh!).

Now that you mention it, I had sharp chest pains (not this time around) a few weeks ago, but that was also after I ate a lot or drank, plus I could feel acid burning in my throat. It wasn't constant, but it came and went. Yet another reason not to drink.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Bam - acid reflux is very common amongst drinkers. Its the drinking and then immediately lying down, passing out, going to sleep . . . This is what I'm told any ways, but don't play with chest pains. I hope you don't have anymore.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I even have reflux during periods of sobriety...I can't worry about that now (heart first), but if it doesn't get better (usually it's mild and it's not quite all the time)...I'll have to get it checked out.

I know you know this, HL, but maybe some others reading this don't, so here goes: acid reflux can tear up your esophagus over time and put you at risk for cancer.

It's amazing how many things alcohol can mess up. Ugh...
Old 12-16-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hey Bam, thanks for the update.

So, you think it's worth a try with the meds, diet restrictions and maintaining your sobriety to see if your condition improves? Do you keep a journal that includes your medical concerns?

I cared for my mom and I kept a journal for her. I wrote about her health concerns, what the doc would recommend and then how we maintained her doses and her diet. Then when we had follow-up visits, I could pull out the journal and tell the docs how long she took this pill, what the side effects were (if any), what her diet was like (increase, decrease in appetite) and if her symptoms improved. It was very helpful to them and us. I have terrible short term memory and my mom sometimes got confused, so the journal helped us keep our facts straight. I used to joke that between us we only had one brain!

Anyway, a journal may help you track your progress.

Chin up!
Old 12-16-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

That's exactly what he suggested.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:25 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bamboozle,

Well, I am glad that the dr checked you out and isn't concerned about your heart. It's awful that he was a jerk, but, remember, that's on him. You're doing the right thing by taking care of yourself. I had a HUGE amount of anxiety when I was in early recovery, partly due to physical symptoms and partly due to my mental state. I finally had to step back, take a few huge breaths, and accept that my health was okay at this particular moment. I couldn't control what it would be like tomorrow, but for the moment, it was okay.

Hang in there!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Bam, I totally understand.

Don't I know it, about acid reflux tearing up your esophagus and putting you at risk for cancer. I am there. I am pre-cancerous - my esophagus has changed from normal to more like the lining of the intestines. It's called Bartlett's Syndrome. It has a low (1 to 5 % per year) percentage of becoming cancerous, but more of a chance than normal tissue. Unfortunately, if it does become cancerous there are few options and it often does not end well.

In the meantime there are meds that help to reduce acid and to coat the lining of the digestive tract that hopefully run interference. I have actually had no further damage shown in my biopsies using said meds (I take omperzaole and carafate as well as some chemo-preventive vitamin combos).

Though I am actively still a damned drunk (working on this), I do adhere to my med schedule and diet restrictions regarding foods.

Take care of yourself as best you can right now. Keep working at it.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
Hi Bamboozle,

Well, I am glad that the dr checked you out and isn't concerned about your heart. It's awful that he was a jerk, but, remember, that's on him. You're doing the right thing by taking care of yourself. I had a HUGE amount of anxiety when I was in early recovery, partly due to physical symptoms and partly due to my mental state. I finally had to step back, take a few huge breaths, and accept that my health was okay at this particular moment. I couldn't control what it would be like tomorrow, but for the moment, it was okay.

Hang in there!
Thanks, anna. I'm still concerned, though, and the more I think about it the more upset I get. When I go in there the next time, I am going to tell him/her that I want a stress test and an echocardiogram done. I'm tired of playing these games. I need to know where I stand. I bet if I had insurance, they'd be all for it. I'm not getting a free ride, however; I'm paying out of pocket. They probably think I'm a quack. When I told him I had a fear of sudden cardiac arrest, he looked me dead-on and said rather snidely, "Why?" Well, pardon me for having fears...I thought I was human.……………………………Sorry. None of this is directed towards you. I'm just frustrated... I’m trying to stay calm.

Originally Posted by DShea View Post
Take care of yourself as best you can right now. Keep working at it.

Thanks...you too!

I'm on a little bit of a strict diet (well, for me it is) and I had a thought last night. I wonder if hot sauce or any spicy things would be considered a stimulant. I would really hate to give that up, because I'm on the "no fun" diet such as it is now. I have a weakness right now for Frank's Red Hot--it's not really hot, but maybe I still shouldn't be eating it? I forgot to ask while I was there and I don't think he mentioned that.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I have a weakness right now for Frank's Red Hot--it's not really hot
No, it's not...
Old 01-03-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

needless to say you did well to see the doc - just in case, you know. not that i'm saying your symptoms were heart attack symptoms. it's more probable they actually were symptoms of a panic attack.
i've lost uncountable nights of sleep worrying about my health and trying to 'decide' if i was having a heart atack or just a panic attack, but i'm still here alive and resonably well.
the thing i wanted to say to you is this: don't be allarmed if your pulse changes when you're measuring it youself. i've heard that through meditation some people can slow their heart down to just a few beats a minute. and i believe it's a fact that one should never look at the blood pressure machine when they're meassuing ones blood pressure because the mind can trick the heart into increasing or decreassing the blood pressure.

i don't know about you but i'm a bit of a hypocondriac. always worrying about my health. i'm begining to find out that the more i worry about something or the more attention i pay to a little ache or pain the worse it gets. perhaps i make myself unwell.

so i guess, not that i'm giving medical advice of course, i'm just guessing, that you keep on taking the pills the doc gave you and pehaps go back for a check up in 6 months time or so. but most important of all, don't worry about your heart packing up - it hsn't betrayed you untill now has it!?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:30 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

The pills aren't helping at all. I knew they wouldn't. I've been getting some occasional pains in the chest area (along with abdominal cramping )...it hasn't been severe enough for me to go to the docs, but I'll tell them about it tomorrow. I've been reading up on the side effects for these things, and the trade-offs are worse than dealing with the palpitations. Actually, it's not even a trade-off...I still have the palpitations...PLUS this new crap.

I have an appointment tomorrow. I'm telling the doc no more pills until they actually know what's wrong. They haven't done any tests, and I'm not going to trust anything they say until they actually do some tests. At the very bare minimum, I want an exercise stress test. These palpitations have made me afraid to exercise for the past year. I must know if there's damage to my heart...I need to know where I stand so that I can exercise safely...so I can get my heart in shape (and the rest of me) and finally move on with my life. Oh, yeah...and it would be a good idea to mention the anxiety/stress/depression while I'm at it. It's making everything worse and I can't shut it off. I've tried...I'm jealous of people who can control their emotions--they don't know how lucky they are. Mine are out of control. I almost snapped at work a couple of days ago...unbelievable uncontrollable mood swing...out of nowhere. I'm going to tell him/her these things. I will have it written down and I will read it word for word if I have to.

All I want to do is self-medicate right now, but I can't. That's why I've been complaining so much...it's all I can do to stop from using.