Notices

Relapse is a part of recovery???

Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Missy, you have shared your relapse with us, and for that I wish to thank you, you have shown me that relapse although an option is not a part of recovery, but it is soemthing that if we learn from it we can recover from.

Now is the time to let those in the rooms know, let them know that you love them enough to share the hell of your relapse and to let them benefit from that as well as to support and love you as you continue on your new found path of recovery with them.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Oh HONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I had to relapse in order to move forward. I never would've guessed it would be that way, but it is what it is!!! Hopefully, those awful black wooly worms crawling on my bedroom walls as well as on the floor scared me straight. I don't ever want to go back there again!!!

God bless you!!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

For me the the main purpose is to treat my addiction. Relapse's can and do happen in recovery. Is it a necessary part of recovery? I would hope not. Having relapsing an essential part of recovery would seem to give one a confusing message about recovery. I think the implication is that a relapse is an expected certainty of recovery and that may confuse some people including me. Having a relapse in recovery is unfortunate but it can be informative as well. A relapse may point to a segment in ones treatment plan that needs reevaluation and change. I have relapsed and I do not allow it to detour me from continuing my addiction treatment.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I haven't made it back to meetings yet...I know that I need to...I just can't shake the thought of having to confess my greatest sin to others'. I don't want to be told of how I let myself get to relapse...I know in my heart why...
First of all...you're not unique, Missy. The relapse was unfortunate; but, don't let it keep you from meetings...which, you admit you need. You won't be standing up in front of the entire group to make a confession of your "sin"...at least, you shouldn't have to do that.

All you really need to do to set things straight is go to the secretary or chairperson of the group and change your sobriety date. It's called "a lesson in humility"...just take a deep breath and do it. You'll feel so much better when you do.

Don't project what you think people will say to you...they may only want to welcome you back. On the other hand, keep an open mind...you could hear something helpful.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Missymae737 View Post

The title of my thread was actually said to me...It was like putting a bandaid on my wound...IF recovery is a part of recovery, than I don't want recovery...I want sobriety!!!
Abstinence is "Not Drinking" and feeling BAD about it.

Recovery is "Not Drinking" and feeling GOOD about it.

Relapse is mainly due to untreated root-causes such as; anxiety, fear, guilt and despair.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Well it was Once Told to me in the Rooms that "Our Failures are Success Turn Inside Out"
is not were you Felt is that you Get Back Up and Dust Your Self,

I Relapse God Knows How many Times, Just to Get to Grow more Mature, & Stronger,
& Wiser, But Like I always Say Don't use this as a License to Go Ahead and Get Loaded
some of us are Week, some of us are Strong,Just Live & Learn From your Mistakes
and Stick to your Guns (Meaning Have a Plan, make Meetings)
Old 12-08-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Cool

This is going to be a bit off-topic, but when I read what you wrote....:

"...I will have a month of sobriety in a few days...Why don't I feel positive about this? I guess it is because I had seventeen months sober..."

I couldn't help but chuckle a bit. I looked at my self and said, "Well, Noelle, you've got 22/23 years clean....; BIG DEAL (true sarcasm), if you'd never picked up, Noelle, come Christmas, you'd have 62 years (!!!) clean....." LOLOL It's all in one's perspective, I guess.

When you wrote....:

"...As for myself, relapse continues to haunt me on a daily basis. My son, (oldest), has been bitter towards me. This is most painful..."

I couldn't help but think....Ya know, Missymae737, like lots of folks say, "It's not the quantity that counts, but the quality (of course in order to have any quality one must have some quantity....but I digress....lol).

Give it time Missymae; work on your recovery, and in that time, I'll bet that your son's attitude toward you may change.....but even if it doesn't, I'll bet a month's salary that your attitude toward yourelf will change.....honest!!

NoelleR
Old 12-08-2008, 06:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

hey!

i'm back to this site after relapsing over a month ago. I got to complacent and thought I could just use socially - I ended up in the hospital OD'ing last Thursday. I'm happy to be alive and excited about what my sober life will bring me.

Keep coming back to all those who've relapsed.

Rachel
Old 12-09-2008, 02:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Missy, I would describe your relapse as a mistake, not as a sin. A mistake is something that you can rectify or change, without having to plead for forgiveness, carry a burden of guilt or serve a sentence for.
Committing a sin is something more serious, and I don't think you qualify.

Besides the more time you spend beating yourself up, the less you have to spend working your way thru the benefits and joys of sobriety.

God bless