Notices

drinking with him?

Old 11-11-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drinking with him?

Hi, I've been rreading for a while, today is my first post.

I'm not sure if my husband is an alcoholic or not. We used to fight all the time because he would come home late or drunk or both. But when we were out drinking together, we always had a good time.

He stopped drinking a few months ago but after a big fight, he started again and has just asked me if i want to go out for a beer with him after work.

We had just a week before talked about him maybe trying to drink 'responsibly' but we didn't have a chance to talk about what's acceptable because we had that fight and he went out and got drunk and we havent talked about it since.

Now, i really used to enjoy drinking with him, but I'm not sure if I should now cuz I don't know if that's sending mixed signals.

Is it ever ok to go out and drink with someone who may or may not have a problem?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!!

I have not had to deal with this kind of situation because I'm the alcoholic. However, maybe you can go out with him, but instead of drinking with him you can use that time to discuss how you are feeling about the situation?!
Just a thought... I know that's probably not a converstation you would look forward to, but no time is better than the present.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful... I wish you much luck!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Alcoholics cannot drink responsibly. It's not possible. So, if your husband is an alcoholic he will not be able to moderate his drinking.

And, I agree with you that it's really sending mixed signals. It's very hard to stop drinking and to stay sober and if your husband decides to do that, it will take a lot of motivation.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

:ghug2Welcome to SR!

I do not have any experience to share as I have not been in your situation but I would suggest checking out ALANON. In it you can find some great tools for dealing with the alcoholic or problem drinker.