Notices

How many "REAL" trys did it take you?

Old 11-09-2008, 07:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many "REAL" trys did it take you?

Hey all,

in, and out of this site... haha.. over 2 years now I think??? hmm...

As far as I'm concerned, I made one REAL try to quit drinking.. couple months ago I went to a Doctor. Got on meds, started AA.

Then, my stupid self got cocky and thought I had a handle on it.. 7 weeks sober, HUGE record for me...so I got myself right back into the crap... sheesh.

Heading back to the Dr. Tomorrow, (different one, I'm embarrased to go back to mine)

Anyway... How many times is... "typical?" for people to fall off the wagon when they start going to AA?? Should I be really ashamed.. I feel pretty much like a total loser cuz I will have to call my sponser and my old Dr. and tell them I was ******** and screwed up again.

Can I hope that this next time is for good...

I'm finding an AA meeting tomorrow night, trying to track down my sponsor. (lost his number) I just gotta make this permanent.

So, to the guys with alot of AA experience, and long sobriety.. Can I turn this around, is this .. typical? unusual? common? fixable?

thanks all.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno - I try and never compare myself with other people - I did that with drinking, and convinced myself for years I wasn't as bad as 'they' were...no sense in thinking you're worse than anyone else in this case either

I tried for the best part of 15 years to stop - they seemed like real tries to me. I could have given up - and I tried to forget about it all many times - but I knew I had to stop...kept coming back to that.

Eventually I just had enough - I stopped Apr 07....working hard to stay that way since.

I figure we'll fall as many times as we need to, in order to get it - we can't drink. Ever. For any reason.

It's both very simple...and incredibly hard.

Support is vital. Go see the Doc. Go back to AA. Post here
Start the process.

I wish you well
D
Old 11-09-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I agree with Dee. I don't try to compare myself to other people with addictions. One thing I have learned is that we are each on our own journey.

I didn't use meds to stop drinking and I am not an AA person, but you can find lots of support there.

Just do what works for you, be true to yourself, and you'll get through this.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I agree too.
I dont have all that much time. And I have screwed up so many times.
But each time.I learn from it.
And honestly. I know how it feels to have the embarrassment and shame. But dont let it hold you back from going after your recovery.
In the end. Noone is living your life except you.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I lost count of how many relapses and failures I had before getting this far. Don't compare yourself to others, we all need to be kinder to ourselves.

Never give up!

Welcome aboard!:ghug3
Old 11-09-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you again...
and ....good to know you are making a fresh start.

I lost count of how many times I bounced in and out
of AA....each time I returned I was warmly acepted.

On my current stretch of recovery...
I consider reading "Under The Influence" was the key.

I took that informations...specifically about how my brain
and body were not correctly processing alcohol...
re-connected with my God and AA...I finally quit.

There is a thread here in Newcomers about the book
and it's sequel "Beyond The Influence"

In our Alcoholism Forum...2nd sticky post has excerpts.

I also feel that not until I began my formal AA
12 Step work....was I on solid recovery ground.

Let us know how your new beginning goes
many of us have been exactly where you are...
Old 11-09-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Four. I've been clean and sober for a year and a half. I am 35 years old. I celebrated my birthday this year totally clean and sober and incredibly greatful.

It takes what it takes.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I've quit before, too. Not sure why it is different this time, but it is. I won't drink again.

I think in the past I wanted to quit, but I didn't want to enough to actually STOP. Doesn't make any sense, does it? I let 'occasions' rule if I was to drink or not. For instance, a vacation would be reason to have 'just one'. I don't think like that anymore. I'll be dead if I do. Slowly, but surely.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes-you can stop.You can turn it around.It takes courage and it takes support.SR has been a huge support for me in this journey.I have had many false starts-(I relapsed so many times since I joined here 18 months ago) I thought I'd never get it.I don't know if I have actually 'got it' but I can honestly say I've accepted drinking is no longer an option for me.Ever.No matter what.

I have 120 and something days sober now and I never want to go back.It's been hard at times-but nothing, just nothing is worth going back there.It truly has been won one day at a time though.I can always get through today-even if it's rough.They just add up after a while.But I'm more focused on today.Every day.It's the only way I get through.

I believe you can too.

Get all the support you need-A.A....friends....posting here.

I wish you well,

Jules.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

hi justsome!
Yup, it absolutely takes what it takes. I am so glad you came back quickly!
I do have to say it struck me when you wrote you lost your sponsor's phone number and had to track him down.
I think one of the most important things to my recovery is my support group in AA and having a sponsor that I talk to just about every other day and see a couple times a week. My sponsor's number is definitely memorized.
my suggestion? Go to 90 meetings in 90 days. Make yourself a fixture there and take a committment.
Best of luck, one day at a time!