Notices

Help!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help!!!

My brother has been an alcoholic for about five years now. He started drinking heavily about 9 years ago. We have been finding 26' of vodka under his bed in a total of 20-24 in 2 weeks time. When he gets drunk, he waits for everyone to fall asleep and he downs a bottle in minutes, then goes out driving to the store. HE is going to kill himself and/ or others. He is suicidal so we believe and because of his actions, he has just been severely beaten by a family member.

We need to do something now. He loves his job and won't go to a 30 day program cause he would lose his job. He has called Al-anon but they have not yet returned his call. We are trying to get an intervention together this seems like the only option.He has already hit rock bottom and he is still drinking, we are terrified we aew going to lose him for good.

What is the next step for our family to save my brother?

If anyone has any experience or advise, I would greatly appreciate all I can get.

Thank you very much!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 03:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Dream! Glad that you found us-

Please check out our "Friends & Family Forum" http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/ and the stickies at the top of the forum as they are filled with a wealth of information. There is a lot of support here at SR.

Al-Anon is something that you may want to try for yourself-there are meetings which you can attend for yourself. I know with my brother we had to let him hit his own bottom-no matter what we said or did he did not stop until he was ready...it is unfortunate however we cannot force anyone to do something they do not want to do-especially not an A.

I hope you stick around and please check out the other forum-

to you
Old 11-06-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Do check out the Friends and Family forum. Good ideas there for saving your own sanity. Only your brother can decide to quit drinking. I hope for both your sakes he sobers up before something really bad happens.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dreamz, your brother is lucky to have you. If he hasn't said he wants or needs help, it's difficult to lead him in that direction - especially in the state he's probably in right now. I'm sure you'll get good advice in the F&F Forum, please let us know how it's going.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dreamz

You may be able to get some help from the Drug and Alcohol Treatment Registry for Ontario (Canada)

The Drug and Alcohol Registry of Treatment

There seems to be a hotline and you can also search the registry by clicking on "Finding Treatment" on the home page.

Good luck
Old 11-07-2008, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Dreamz

My mini intervention took place in the form of my family taking emergency custody of my children, an unremembered ambulance ride to the ER where as soon as I sobered up a little bit I signed myself out AMA and went to the liquor store by cab. They didn't sell to me because I didn't have my ID on me. When I got home, I was met by my sister who told me my children were gone and I had 2 choices. Get help or keep on drinking. My kids were already gone so they were safe with family and it would have been very easy for me to hole myself up in my house and continue to drink.

I chose my life.

I went to a 5 day detox, then a 28 day inpatient program, then 8 weeks of intensive outpatient program, full time. I have graduated from all 3 programs and now continue putting my recovery first. Above family, my children, my job, my bills, my home, etc. Without sobriety nothing else will fall into place for me. I attend a weekly relapse prevention group, see an addictions counselor once a week, go often to the drop in recovery center in my area for stable sober support, and attend AA mtgs, working my program to the best of my ability with my sponsor.

My oldest daughter is home with me now, legally. My baby will hopefully be home with me full time in Jan/Feb, as long as I keep my nose clean. Good things continue to happen for me.

But I needed to reach my bottom and my decision on my own. I had to have had enough, and make the decision for myself. Without the losses though, I would not have sought treatment and gotten sober.

I am grateful today for all my losses, as well as my victories. I appreciate small miracles today.

I hope your brother gets sober soon. I will keep him in my prayers.

Achanceonu