Notices

Wee slip on vacation in Mexico :(

Old 11-03-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wee slip on vacation in Mexico :(

Hey SR Friends,

So I need to confess- I had 43 days and then went to Tulum, Mexico on vacation last week and had 2 beers on Wed, 2 on Thurs and 1 at the airport on the way home Friday night. I was clear headed and made the choice, but I am not proud of my lack of discipline. I knew a vacation on the beaches of Mexico would be a tricky and I am glad I did not get drunk- I truly had no desire to drink more then a few beers at once and only during meals. BUT I am back 100% committed to wanting to drink nothing at all. It didn't feel right.

The worst part I think was feeling spiritually disconnected for me- I really felt strongly connected during these 43 days and I feel that the few days of having a few drinks broke that spiritual connection for me. I am back though and determined to have NO slips. It just brings my mind back to bad memories even if I am not drinking enough to be unhealthy or abuse. I know I am an alcohol abuser so it's like I was playing with fire.

Have any of you ever gone on a relaxing beach holiday while sober? Any tricks? beach to me = corona and lime. ugh.

Anyhow- I wanted to get that off my chest. I am back though and grateful I didn't take it far enough to cause any real damage. Just let down myself I guess- feel like a wimp.

best,
TTGU
Old 11-03-2008, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I couldn't have gone on a holiday that early in my sobriety - not without having a meeting schedule, and a good sober plan in place before going.

Do you have a recovery program/support system, or are you doing this on your own?

I'm glad you have a desire to stop drinking. Stick around.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This site has been my support system and I was attending AA meetings here and there, but the group near my home I did not feel a strong connection with, so was not motivated to attend as often as I should have. I know there are other meetings in my area I can try and I will.

I have a strong desire to stop drinking indeed. The weird part is that having the few beers was not any more fun than not having them- it just made me tired and a bit guilty the next day- and I have had enough sober time to know I did not want more then a few beers- so it was a total waste of breaking my 43 days. Dumb me!!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

TTGU, sorry to hear of the slip, but there is nothing to lose by starting over. You only have today anyway.

On another / similar note, I am curious about anyone who went on a cruise and how they made out. I love cruising, but am afraid to go on another right now because of all the alcohol...
Old 11-03-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No need to be hard on yourself - learn from your mistakes and move on.

I hope you check out some more meetings.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rurdy2rk View Post
TTGU, sorry to hear of the slip, but there is nothing to lose by starting over. You only have today anyway.

On another / similar note, I am curious about anyone who went on a cruise and how they made out. I love cruising, but am afraid to go on another right now because of all the alcohol...
Many cruises have meetings on board - check before you book, and ask for Friends of Bill W.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like all kinds of vacations and I am really going to have to skip them this year because I don't think I can handle it. I have a summer home and that in August was just about impossible. Anyway I don't think you wasted 43 days because that was 43 days you didn't drink. I am afraid I wouldn't be able to start over if I drank again.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad your back!

While you had a few drinks you were were able to stop yourself from drinking to be drunk. That shows you had some discipline but I get how you are feeling. Thats really encouraging that what you said about feeling more connected in the 43 days prior to this trip. It says alot and let it serve as a reminder of why you need to move forward without alcohol at all in your life. For me it is marijuana I struggled with...and prior attempts to quitting I would just have a 'puff' so I wouldn't be 'high' but that just made me feel as guilty and only led me back to doing it more frequently.

Bottom line, your back you want to continue being sober, so I wish you the best and keep making as many right choices as you can. That's all you can ask of yourself.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well.....I've been sober 15 mos and haven't yet gone on a vacation. However, when I was sober before I did travel alot by myself but within a group bus tour environment. None of my fellow travelers new of my alchoholism and I did not attend meetings as I was focused on expereincing the trip fully.

I think it is perfectly possible to do this, but I need to be on steady ground with my sobriety first and right now I think the temptation to drink during the air flight would be too much for me.

I do best when I understand this as a temporary situation. My alchoholism doesn't need to stop me from anything except picking up the first drink
Old 11-03-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey TTGU,

A similar thing happened to me. I was 2 months sober then I went on vacation and couldn't resist having a few drinks. Unfortunately when I got home I continued to sneak drinks in my old fashion, although not enough to get drunk, but certainly on the slippery slope. That lasted for a week. However, I am back on track now and am more than ever determined to stay sober. The spiritual side is what hauls me up and gets me back on the right road.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In 2004, I went on a beach-y vacation. It was on an island off the coast of Kenya where the population has been Muslim since the 1400s, and while it's legal to bring your own alcohol over from the mainland, it's not sold there. I was with two normal friends who didn't think anything of being alcohol-free for a couple of days, and was at a point myself where I was drinking alcoholically, but not brave or desperate enough yet to smuggle it myself and drink in front of them (or sneak it behind their backs). So I was on an involuntarily alcohol free beach trip, with no desire not to be drinking.

There was nothing I could do about it that I saw, and although I kept looking hopefully at restaurant menus, there was just no alcohol to be had. After a little bit I was able to relax and drink lots and lots of fresh fruit smoothees, eat the most amazing seafood, and just sit and marvel at where I was. It was easier because no one else was drinking on the island. Healthiest vacation I'd had since I was 14.

You want to hear the ironic ending though... my last night I ate a bad scallop and got the nastiest, most disgusting case of food poisoning. Both ends. And it being an island off of Kenya, it's not like some cushy American hotel room... no flush toilet or ac. So I was still sick the morning I left even though no drinking! Man was I mad!

Haha, ok, point being, although my drinking was less alcoholic at that point (if that was this year before August you can be sure I would've smuggled a supply), the fact that no one was drinking around me made it more enjoyable. It was a calm trip, we weren't there to party hard, but to relax in a gorgeous place. I remember it as respite, very fondly.

Are there non-alcoholic cruises?

Time, btw, I relapsed last week after sixty something days. It sucks but we can kick this thing
Old 11-03-2008, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TimeToGrowUp View Post
Hey SR Friends,

So I need to confess- I had 43 days and then went to Tulum, Mexico on vacation last week and had 2 beers on Wed, 2 on Thurs and 1 at the airport on the way home Friday night. I was clear headed and made the choice, but I am not proud of my lack of discipline. I knew a vacation on the beaches of Mexico would be a tricky and I am glad I did not get drunk- I truly had no desire to drink more then a few beers at once and only during meals. BUT I am back 100% committed to wanting to drink nothing at all. It didn't feel right.

I know I am an alcohol abuser so it's like I was playing with fire.

Have any of you ever gone on a relaxing beach holiday while sober? Any tricks? beach to me = corona and lime. ugh.

Anyhow- I wanted to get that off my chest. I am back though and grateful I didn't take it far enough to cause any real damage. Just let down myself I guess- feel like a wimp.

best,
TTGU
AA Alanon Meeting Directory In Mexico And Belize

Yeah, if you had really wanted to attend a meeting while down there you could have. I spent about a week on Isla Mujeres in early May and had a little time on my hands, looked it up at one of the internet cafes down there, yes they have AA meetings in Mexico, they have AA meetings just about everywhere. I was struck by a few of your comments, which I've boldfaced. You sound ambivalent about the whole idea of whether or not you're an alcoholic, you chose the word alcohol abuser instead. If you were clear headed, why did you make the choice to drink? And lastly, you said didn't take it far enough to cause any real damage. If you are an alcoholic, only time will tell if your wee slip caused any real damage. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I made the choice to drink because I wanted to have a beer with my old friends in Mexico, but I was clear headed in that I knew I wasn't going to drink more then 2 beers. I am not sure what your point is here, do you??

Whether someone is an alcoholic or an alcohol abuser or whatever term they feel they identify with- we are all here for the same reason (and not everyone is part of AA and that's okay too)- we don't want to drink- as we know it's harmful for us, some more than others. We are here to share our experiences and for support and encouragement- what are you here for Sailor John? You seem angry. I on the other hand feel just fine.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I'm glad you're back!

I couldn't have gone on a vacation like you did, in early sobriety, and not wanted to drink. I had to make a choice to avoid those kinds of places. So, I went on a beach vacation with my husband, who doesn't drink, and it was great. After about a year of sobriety we went on a Cruise, and it was not a problem at that time.

You can learn and move forward!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi TTGU - I started my recovery on a beach vacation with my family..at the time I had no plan, just wanted to stay sober. We have done a lot of camping and another vacation since, and I always take something along that I like to think of as my "sobriety kicks azz" drink...seltzer waters and a bottle of non-alcoholic grenadine with fresh lime slices, this past summer at the beach and the lake it was strawberry lemonade with crushed ice and salt around the rim of the glass. I need to point out that I like these drinks because they taste good and they are a symbol of my sobriety. They are not "replacements" for my alcoholic drinks of the past (whiskey and water only!), they are truly symbols of the new me and I enjoy every single one of them more than all the booze combined. Just a practical suggestion for vacations, weekends, any temptation times.

Glad you are back here with us.

Jomey
Old 11-03-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jomey View Post
Hi TTGU - I started my recovery on a beach vacation with my family..at the time I had no plan, just wanted to stay sober. We have done a lot of camping and another vacation since, and I always take something along that I like to think of as my "sobriety kicks azz" drink...seltzer waters and a bottle of non-alcoholic grenadine with fresh lime slices, this past summer at the beach and the lake it was strawberry lemonade with crushed ice and salt around the rim of the glass. I need to point out that I like these drinks because they taste good and they are a symbol of my sobriety. They are not "replacements" for my alcoholic drinks of the past (whiskey and water only!), the are truly symbols of the new me and I enjoy every single one of them more than all the booze combined. Just a practical suggestion for vacations, weekends, any temptation times.

Glad you are back here with us.

Jomey
Thanks for the special/symbolic drink ideas! They sound VERY good. Mmmmm.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Honey vanilla chamomile tea for winter...hot chocolate with a peppermint stick for a stirring straw....I've got every season covered!
Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome back to SR.

I went on a mini vacation in Sept with my siblings and family. We went to the beaches on the gulf. I was 32 days sober. I had a plan.

Each day we packed the cooler for the beach and I included water bottles for everyone and my personal favorite: Izze soda. It is all natural juice (pomegranate, blueberry, or tangerine, etc...) plus carbonated water. It comes in a long neck bottle. Sometimes I crave a carbonated beverage (I don't like soda) during the times I normally would have grabbed a beer. This fills in the void.

I also like to drink green tea with lemonade. Everyone on vacation enjoyed it also.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I love all of your suggestions! thank you all.