Notices

Day 28: That yo-yo of emotions

Old 10-16-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 28: That yo-yo of emotions

I continue to be up and down depending on the time of the day and the stressors in my life. One minute I will be happy and content and at other times I will be down and depressed. Part of this is due to the lack of alcohol I am sure and part of it may be contributed by other things in my life.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi machael and thanks for your post....

just want to comment about the ups and downs...one good thing about them i've experienced....

and that is at the end of the day, after a day of ups and downs....it feels so good to have experienced the whole gammitg of emotions and to drift into sleep with grattitude
Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

At 12 days myself, truly I feel what you are talking about, that yo-yo of emotions.

I'm all over the place too.

I'll say this though: Right now, the best & most true joy I feel in my heart & mind is when I suddenly realize, otherwise distracted by life, that I stopped drinking 12 days ago. It gives me such joy to have that knowledge. It gives me such pride to know I have taken that step and that there is hope.

Stay strong, you'll be glad you did.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too had problems with my feelings being all over the place. I thought I was losing my mind many times. But hang in there, it does get better!

:ghug3
Old 10-16-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Michael, I actually enjoyed the rollercoaster... After being numb for so long, feeling again was both a shock and a relief.

Also, keep in mind that up and downs are a normal part of life As long as they are not too extreme, it should be all good. IME the best way to work on this is by trying to cultivate a sense of inner peace - the ride might be here to stay, maybe not as intensely as you're experiencing it right now, but you might as well go along with it.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yuck! I remember those insane mood swings! I felt like I was going crazy! Just hang in there. They will start to level out at about 4 months or so. They may get worse before they get better, but THEY WILL GET BETTER!

I am 6 months sober and my mood swings are pretty much gone!

Good luck.
:ghug2
Old 10-16-2008, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I would describe mine as a roller coaster, too. I'm still selling tickets for that ride, but it seems to be less bumpy these days.

I agree with the others. I'll ride the rollercoaster if that's what it takes to be aware of my feelings instead of numb from booze.

Glad to see you are on day 28!
Keep on keeping on!