Notices

Quick intro

Old 09-29-2008, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick intro

Hello all!
Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been reading the boards for a few weeks....what a great site.
Several years ago I was sober and working a program for quite some time. I was feeling great, happy....had a really great life. Somehow I forgot what got me there (sobriety and working the AA program). I got cocky, thought I had this thing kicked and figured I'd just drink like a normal person again....should be easy, right?
Well here I sit, several years later right back where I was back then. Telling myself every day I wont drink and finding myself drunk every night. It is absolute insanity.
Anyway, I'm here at another attempt at sobriety. I've been going to AA meetings for a few weeks (and still drinking)....just hoping that seed would get planted and I'd "get it" again. Part of the problem is I was so scared to quit. How the hell would I make it though even one day without a drink? I was afraid of the physical and mental concequences of not having acohol in my body (of course I didnt think of the phyisical and mental concequences of what HAVING the achohol in my body was doing...DUH).
This past Tuesday I finally got the courage to try it....to actually try to make it even one day without a drink. Well, I made it through the day and then another and another. Right now I've got 6 complete days sober! I know that doesnt seem like much, but to me it amazing. I cant remember the last time my body (and mind) went that long without a drink (more like many drinks)

Anyway.....just wanted to say hi and thanks to you all for being here!
I look forward to sharing this journey with you all.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congratulations on six days sober! THat's a wonderful accomplishment. We'll help you stay sober by sharing advice, experience, strength, and hope. Welcome to the site!
Old 09-29-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks for sharing your story. Your story is one of my "seeds," as you described above.

I hope to find a way to stay clean today
Old 09-29-2008, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Kristin
Old 09-29-2008, 06:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are back on track....
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you! keep posting and congrats on your sober time! hugs, k
Old 09-29-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on your 6 days. As you know from past experience, you never have to repeat those 6 days again.

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to hearing more.

:praying
Old 09-29-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Kristink, I did the same exact thing. I was completely sober from '97-'00 and picked up again going out on a date for the first time in many years. I then went off for SEVEN years just because "one little glass of wine won't hurt". It's terrifying what happens when it gets us in it's grips. For me, I tanked very quickly this last time, complete with 3 DUI's & ruined relationships. I was facing insanity & death. I now have almost 9 mos. sober and SR is responsible for that, though I was still drinking for the first few months I was here. The stories and support and feeling of not being alone helped me to "get it" once again. I greatly appreciate being allowed to be myself on here and speak freely. No one is shocked or judgmental. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for here. Congratulations on your decision. Love, Joanie
Old 09-29-2008, 11:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome kristink! I also had years of sobriety before going back out. Glad you are making your way back. There's lots of support here!

Love,

Lenina