Notices

does sugary things help?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question does sugary things help?

Sometimes when i have an urge i noticed that i am really craving something sugary is this a normal thing? is this a good thing? If so what sort of foods or sweets would be good for a cravings? can it be anything sugary?
Old 09-10-2008, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there!

Me too!! I really notice this at the moment - am on day 25 - and I have never been a sweet lover, so was a bit baffled. I guess it's the sweetness in alcohol we're craving. Still, better a galaxy, two crunchies, a twix and a MASSIVE mug of hot chocolate with double cream than a drink eh?!!

Good luck

another uk-er
Old 09-10-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile hi

yes definately agree im trying to get past day 4 at the moment which is abit of a stumbling block for me at moment its day 3 for me today. so hope to be able to get through it although i know it dosent stop there but hopefully things will get easier.:bounce
Old 09-10-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Alcohol is like a sugar to the body, years ago alcoholics in early recovery were told to eat sweets to lessen the cravings and it did help, it helped me quite a bit. CarolD swears by a diet that helps with hypoglycemia which is the opposite of diabetes in ways, from what I have read most alcoholics suffer from it in early sobriety.

I have heard that sweet fruits and natural fruit juices along with a healthy diet make a big difference as well.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

hummm.. lets see theres gummie bears next to my bed , MM's and other wrapped treats at my desk , choclate ice cream in my freezer, and cookies in the cabnit , umm yep definatly think sweets help .one would think id look like the good year blimp but i cant gain weight to save my life , but im not complaining 8
Old 09-10-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lol...too funny! Right now I have hot chocolate on my desk, a chocolate muffin in my gut...and two boxes of hallowe'en treats in the car!!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Right you lot, I've simply got to have a hot chocolate now!!

sas
Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm off the sugar now - 8 days. Waa-hoo. BUT as a recovery tool I found that ice cream was lifesaver. AND it gave me something to look forward to in the evenings. My usual cocktail hour became a sugar fest. I ate WHATEVER I wanted my first 5 weeks. Just enjoy and watch out if you're crashing from it as it could backfire and increase cravings. Balance it with some healthy stuff too. Twix crumbles in your salad?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been eating those 100 calorie mini cadbury chocolate bars. I've never been a chocolate person either, but strangely enough now that i've quit drinking i've been eating more chocolate.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wink strawberrys and sugar

8i have bought some strawberrys today ready for tommorow night and will sprinkle them with sugar and also have some coke cola which i am hoping will ease the cravings. I know this may not be a good thing to do on a regular basis as i dont want to put on to much weight but thinking it will help short term basis.:ghug