Notices

Staying sober at social and family occasions

Old 09-07-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Staying sober at social and family occasions

How do you cope with social occasions?? I'm pretty shy and obviously alcohol is great for dealing with that. But also people are used to me drinking (and usually making a twit of myself) and I don't want them to make a big deal about me not drinking.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I go with medical reasons for the win, antibiotics is a good general reason. I had a thead devoted specifically about this before I went out on my first non drinking outing. I will see if I can find/bump it for ya.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That was a good thread because it's a personal choice whether you want to say, I quit. I'm an alcoholic. Some of us feel empowered by it some of us (me included) are more selective in the people we want to share with. I have to do what is right for me in my recovery.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it is an important choice. I have mentioned this already...(hope I'm not repeating myself too much), after I quit in early July, when I went to parties and socials nobody noticed what I was drinking (water), and nobody asked or commented about my not drinking alcohol.
I was expecting to have to make excuses but it was a non-issue.

If you think it might be an issue and if you are in a big group where people are moving around a lot it is really easy to get by all night with a coke and a lemon wedge (looks like a drink) or mineral water with a lemon wedge (looks like a drink).

If it is a smaller dinner party, (and whether you drink or not will be noticed), AND you are not ready to announce you are recovering, go with the penicillin bit right off the bat and mention it more than once. Or, say you have to drive very early in the morning. Another good one is a very early exercise class. (I actually used to have a yoga class at 7AM).
If you have children or anyone you are responsible for, you can use their needs as reason as well. (Actually, when I was drinking, I didn't need to make it up when I said I didn't want a drink when my teens were out late. There was always the possiblility I may have needed to drive to pick them up somewhere.)
Old 09-07-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I try to stick with 'No, thank you'. I don't feel like I owe an explanation to people. It's a personal choice.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Hey Butter.. I just got married a week go and there was no booze at my wedding , but after dinner and that we all got together downtown deadwood and they all drank for me its not a problem for many others being around such situations can be very slippery . If at any point i do get uneasy bout being in such , I can get up and walk out . But We had a great time and I didnt drink nor did I want to . But I had soda , I dont have a problem saying no thanks I dont drink , some do and thats ok , like 51anna said its a personal choice , I feel myself its easier that my friends and family know I cant drink and its ok . Im fine with there choices of doing so again i can leave at any time if i were uneasy . I know myself if it were an issue I would make an excuse not to attend such functions till I was ok with admitting to my friends /fam that I have a drinkin problem and such , anyways just my 2 pennys worth .. Have a great day and peace be with ya
Old 09-07-2008, 11:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm a big fan of the medical excuse. I'm really not ready to start telling my friends family i'm an alcoholic.

Master G if you find that thread i'd love to see it mate, you seem to be quite skilled at the medial excuses!!!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Something I'm not looking forward to either!! I had a bbq a week into my sobriety and everyone was drinking, a couple of people quite heavily!! I just stuck to my non-alcoholic wine and sparkling water and, although I did have a bit of a 'wobble' and a cry, was actually ok with it. Our friends did know my reasons for stopping drinking though - I have no reason to be ashamed of how much alcohol was messing up my life - and they were fine with it. I have no intention of stopping people drinking in my home, and, to be honest, looking at the state of some of them is an even bigger impetus!!

My husband will drink the odd can here and goes to the pub maybe twice a week, but, again, that is something I am fine with.

I know christmas will be hard but I just reapeat the mantra 'don't think what alcohol does FOR you, think what it does TO you'.

sas
Old 09-08-2008, 01:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Master G, i found the other thread...must learn to look before posting
Old 09-08-2008, 04:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is my second round of quitting (5 yrs last time ) so I am hoping it will be easier. I have been drinking again for around 2 years and the last year and half pretty heavy, had some significant losses that I have been drowning my sorrows.

We have a couple coming over this weekend that we always party with, so I will use the prescription reason this time if it is even noticed, will drink soda and lime. After that I am pretty comfortable telling people I am taking a break - and it will be a life long one this time :praying. I know how wonderful sobriety is and can't wait to have that peaceful feeling again.