Notices

Meeting roundup

Old 08-29-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meeting roundup

Tell about your favorite meeting of the week (if you do 12-step or other meeting-based recovery programs).

Why do you like it so much?

How has it helped you in your recovery?

:ghug2

Thanks,
KJ
I'll put mine in here later today.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I chickened out on going to my first meeting this week.

I look forward to reading what everyone else has to say. Maybe it will make it a little easier for me to finally go next week.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been fortunate in that I found a meeting for everyday that I really enjoy and learn from. Last night meeting I was able to meet with both of my sponsees. One sponsee shared last night for the first time in months. I saw a real break through in her last night. The other sponsee is new out of hosp. again, and most important she showed up and finally used some advice. I suggested she introduce herself to some people she never met and each person told me about it. I was happy she finally is following some advice I gave her. For the first time I am seeing progress in my work with sponsees. Now I understand why sponsers say that working with sponsees help themselves to stay sober.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My homegroup is my favorite. It's called a newcomer's meeting in the schedule, but you don't have to be new to go. It's my fave because of the people that go. We eat together each week after the meeting and there are a group of women that in 5 months have become like sisters to me. There's a lot of good recovery and acceptance going on in there. There's also so much fun and friendship. I seriously think it is my best hour of the whole week. I love it.
KJ
Old 08-29-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

kj, that is what meetings is all about. My women groups are the greatest. Not one of them is a man bashing event like many think. We have more important things to talk about. Like recovery!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My favorite is the thursday morning discussion group. I made it my home group cause I felt right at home the first time I walked into the room. I haven't been there for a while as have scheduling problems but will try to rearrange my schedule so I can go back there.

I get so much out of hearing the different perspectives of the people regarding whatever is the discussion subject that week. A lot of the discussion by different members sounds very much like my own feelings and experiences. I like discussion groups best cause of hearing all the different thoughts and feelings of everyone.

I also like lead meetings cause I like to hear the stories of the failures and successes. It gives me hope for myself.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Me too, I love discussion groups. Our home group focuses on the JFT. So the topic is different every week. I usually share briefly each week at my home group meeting.

I also go to a step work group on Tuesdays, but since I haven't got a lot of step work done yet I just listen there. (sponsor has me writing about the triangle of self-obsession this week, which is pre-step work in NA). I go to the step-work meeting each week so I'll be ready for each step when it comes time.

And I go to at least one midnight meeting a week. That one is a speaker meeting with candle light. Very relaxing, and often very moving.
KJ
Old 08-29-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Discussion Groups are my favorite AA meetings.

I consider them classrooms for sobriety.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

the saturday night reading/topic meeting at the Panel of Experts (Alive Again)

what we have been doing lately is reading from the A.A. Grapevine...

its current stuff, real, and at times, a hoot!

its great for newcomers, as it helps break the ice a bit...
Old 08-29-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Saturday night (tonight) for me as well, its my home group and can be a cosy 15 poeple or can be 80-100 people, its a topic/id (JFT) meeting.

Its always livley and caring.

We finish at 8pm and after most of us go across the road for a big meal and hours of chat and fun, some nights we take over the whole of the outside part of the restaraunt.

Kevin
Old 08-29-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I attend SMART recovery meeting on Sunday night.

I like it because everyone gets to share there day or there week. Cross talk is allowed so you can get advice right away. After everyone talks there is a paper read by us and then we talk about it.

I learn something good every time I go. It is a 4 point system, right now I like Developeing a positive, balanced and healthy lifestyle.