Notices

I just want to talk to people! pleeease

Old 08-29-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just want to talk to people! pleeease

I'm still confused about this whole site!. I think it's to help people like me who have an addicition but it's so frustrating to figure out!!! I'm sober now for three days, the first time in over 15 years and i'm 30yrs old. . I feel weird and strangley angry!!! I just want to talk to someone and find out if this is normal!! Whats a thread anyway??
Old 08-29-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

What is frustrating about it?

We're here and we're talking and glad to see you join us.

What you just posted, is a thread.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I felt the anger, I'm still new, but the anger has turned to a weird sense of Pride. pride that I am conquering my addiction to alcohol!

Welcome here and Awesome thread!

Heavy
Old 08-29-2008, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome to SR August. Glad you're here.

Keep reading and posting. You in the right place.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Pleased to meet you, August. I'm on day 10. Intense emotions are normal and may last for a while. Glad you are here.

DK
Old 08-29-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi August - don't be discouraged. Your feelings will be all over the place for awhile. Your body has to adjust to being without it's anesthesia. Heavy put it very well, the anger/resentment I once felt has turned to a sense of pride. Every week that goes by I feel stronger and more resolved to stay the course. Here it is a holiday weekend and I haven't once thought of alcohol. I never thought that day would come. You can do this! Tell us more about you.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Well, at least you're not isolating ...which can be dangerous for us. Reaching out to those who've "been there" is a very good thing. It's true...your emotions will be all over the place for a bit...but, eventually, you'll settle down. There's a slogan in AA: HALT

It stands for Hungry Angry Lonely Tired...all of which can be triggers to pick up a drink. So, you try not to be hungry, angry, lonely, or tired. You're probably feeling anger because you're not doing what you've been so used to doing for half your life.

You and I started drinking at about the same age...I was 16. I drank for longer than you've been alive...32 years. I'm sober for almost as long as you've been alive...28+ years. I know it sounds awesome...sometimes it even surprises me when I think about it.

But, when I was newly sober at AA meetings, and heard how long some of them had been sober, I thought it would never be possible for me! What you have to remember is that at one time all of us had three days...and, we all stay sober just ONE DAY AT A TIME...no matter how much sober time we have.

Congratulations on your three days, and keep on talking to us! And, keep reading what's being said here...lots of support and encouragement in this place!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A thread is this 'conversation' replying to your first post. There is lots of info in the 'sticky' at the top of the Alcoholism forum. One sticky is about quitting drinking and what you can expect from the withdrawal from alcohol. I've been quitting drinking since last December, many many failed attempts. But I never gave up and here I am 47 days sober!!

You can stay sober too. You can wake up clear headed in the morning and get thru the day a lot easier than when you're hungover. I am enjoying my days so much more being sober than I ever could when drinking. I don't have to wonder the next morning what I did or if I drove anywhere. I don't wake up feeling like sh!t every morning. I'm really enjoying my life more.

At times, in very early sobriety, I used to wonder if I'd ever feel "normal" again. Well, I don't know what "normal" is, but I know I'm feeling a hell of a lot better sober!

It's hard to give up our habit. I am having to adjust to feeling everything since I'm no longer drinking myself numb and dumb. But I'm getting by and you can too!

Keep coming back here. Post your feelings and questions. We're from all over the world so there's always someone online.

Welcome to a great place!:ghug3
Old 08-29-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is the link to your thread in Alcoholism
all you need do is click your mouse on the line below

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...o-i-m-new.html

Congratulations on your decision to quit drinking.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, August! Welcome to SR. As to your emotions...pretty much what everyone else already said. The first couple/few weeks are the worst. It will get better. You have to give it time. Come here to rant whenever you feel like it.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR August, talk away

Kevin
Old 08-29-2008, 10:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 08-29-2008, 10:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I just started a thread on being angry...I'm angry that nobody replied! (Just kidding...really!)

I am not usually like this but I am just pi**ed at the world today. I don't like it. I am new (83 days) to recovery. I think we just need to learn how to channel the anger (whatever that means...) into something positive rather than just letting it fester inside. Meetings help me alot better than punching a wall (ouch).