Notices

Second time Newbie

Old 08-18-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Second time Newbie

Hey all! I stopped for about 45 days earlier this year. At that time I was scared I going to die. I had nausea for two days and migraines as was convinced I was at the point of no return. I told all friends and family I was quitting as just a healthy lifestyle change. That time came to an end and now it has been a bottle+ of wine every night without fail. Well after an entire long weekend binge with a party or two and our friends coming over I ended up going to bed with that same nausea, migraine, and stomach pain. The thing about drinking is that you need to take advil all day the next day to get rid of the massive headache, which I did. So I think I pretty much burned a hole in my stomach after awhile with a red wine advil cocktail which is a pretty good sign that maybe I need to quit for good. So here I am again. I pissed I have to quit when everyone else I know gets to have fun, but what choice do I have? Die? I have two small kids, a wonderful life, thriving business, etc. I have problems with going to AA as well. Never been, but for some reason I can't pull the trigger. I'm scared that if I don't then I never will. I'm not looking for convincing as I believe AA is a good thing and has helped millions. I need to get firmly inbedded in this site like I did when I quit tobacco a couple of years ago. That means make friends, join groups, find milestones and have people that care about them. Here is to the first day of many more.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome hilltopper.

Yeah - this disease really does kill. I'm glad you're thinking about doing something.
See you round

D
Old 08-18-2008, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Disease Kills

Yes I believe you are right, this can kill me. I intend to be strong and determined. My problem is more of a celebratory one. I don't drink and will be feeling like superman later this week and want to celebrate. Anybody else go through that?
Old 08-18-2008, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For me to actually quit drinking....

I had to want to be sober
more than I wanted to drink

Blessings to you and your family
....Welcome back to SR!
Old 08-18-2008, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anybody else go through that?
I think everybody does. It's human nature to forget the bad and remember the good. It's what keeps us coming back.

I drank so much and so long I have no trouble remembering the bad LOL, but it's a useful strategy, I think, in resisting the party madness and the peer pressure.

Next time perhaps try recalling the nausea and headaches...and the advil

good luck!
D
Old 08-18-2008, 04:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes I agree. Remembering how much better I feel is a strong motivator, but on the other hand sometimes I'm on a mission to destroy myself.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Hilltopper1972 View Post
I pissed I have to quit when everyone else I know gets to have fun, but what choice do I have? Die?
Drinking was fun for a long time, but for the last few years I drank it'd turned into a total horror show. Yep, as we say in AA, the next step was hospitals, jails, institutions, or death.

Stick around and do this deal and I can guarantee you you'll have more fun sober than you ever did drinking, but it requires dedication and hard work. You'll get out of it exactly what you put into it, and maybe more.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice and support. All my friends and family drink. I feel like I can't get away from it. There is always some kind of party or celebration. My grandma died about a month ago. We were all there at her side when she passed away in her little mobile home. So what did we do no more than 30 minutes after her passing? We all had wine and cocktails as part of our ritual and talked about Grandma and how much she meant to us. So in an emotional moment, Mom, Dad, both sisters, both brother in laws, and my wife all hit the sauce. I have to say only 3 of us don't have a problem, one being my wife thank goodness. We grew up and people called us the Brady Bunch and drank milk for dinner. We morphed into winos as near as I can tell about 10 years ago. I'm standing up and leading the charge, if they want to follow then great, but it is out of my hands.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR hilltopper
Old 08-18-2008, 11:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 08-19-2008, 12:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There's always a reason to drink-celebratory-sadness-anger.....whatever.In the end it doesn't matter- if you're an alcoholic you'll find an excuse.But it will kill you eventually.There's no excuse good enough and I should know-I had tons of them and have relapsed many times believing them.It's all horsesh*t in the end though.There's no reason good enough.

I hope you find a good enough reason to stop.There's tons of support here if you want to.

Julesxox
Old 08-19-2008, 01:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of Advice. This is my second time quitting and I've read about many people who have quit so many times they can't even remember. The one thing that sticks out in my mind is that it is all "horse@#$T!" You can't even argue for any good reasons. I'm over getting pissed that "Why can't I be like everyone else." It is done, finished, over. I'm simply not like the rest. I'm also not the fastest, best looking, richest, most famous, smartest(well that's debatable, classic alcoholic mindset right?). I got over those pretty quick so I'm determined to get over this. No excuses anymore. I can be weak at times but can never cave.