Notices

A very severe alcoholic is quitting today

Old 08-13-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Smile

Originally Posted by scott28 View Post
I want to quit drinking before, not after I destroy my health, my career, and my love life.

I do not like the AA at all. I've been to many meetings as a teen to support my father. One, I'm not religious. Two, I don't feel they address my own reason for drinking.

My first concern is detox. I'm not going to quit cold turkey because I'm afraid of violent withdrawl symptoms. I don't want to go to a doctor because I work at the hospital. I know I don't get symptoms if all I have is a couple glasses of wine.

I'm telling my ife this when she gets home.

feeling pretty low right now.

hey hello scott. i hope you're feeling better as you move forward.

yeah good idea to quit as soon as you can. Since you know you don't get symptoms with wine you prolly have tried to detox that way before. And since it didn't work, you must be seriously concerned about your detox.

detox is really a 2 stage action. the actual physical detox, then the ongoing relapse prevention. it is also the importance of the relapse prevention which is why a medically supervised detox is preferable overall, not just the physical dependence issues.

I hope your efforts to seek medical detox support are fruitful and relapse is not in your future path any longer. Relapse is not part of any successful recovery path, imo; relapse is of course a bona fide choice of every active addiction. over and over again. and again. and again.

of course we all have our opinions. imo recovery is recovery, relapse is active addiction.

best wishes brother. welcome to the forums. godspeed.

RR
Old 08-14-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

welcome Scott, I agree with everyone's posts, especially about detox, not medical advice here but, that's a lotta booze to drink every day, and if you are having all these physical symptoms, well..
i have a close friend who ended up with seizures from drinking. I would say definitely pursue medical advice. you are worth it!! you will not regret the decision to quit, I am just 17 days along but what a difference it has made in my life so far--I think you will find that to be the case too. There just comes a time when you say, "you know, I have drank enough to know what drinking is all about. Don't need to keep on doing it."
Best wishes to you and keep coming back SR is a wonderful source of support and caring people. I look forward to reading your upcoming posts as you move ahead--you can do it!! --noba
Old 08-14-2008, 10:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

aLL best Scott keep coming back and I hope you get medical and councelling help soon so you can get better take care
ang
Old 08-14-2008, 10:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Cool

Hey Scott ----

Welcome to SR, and possibly a path of recovery....you've received a lot of good suggestions so far. I figure all I'd be able to do here would be redundant. Soooo I'll just ask a quick question (one which came to me while reading your original post.

You wrote.....:

1) "...I want to quit drinking before, not after I destroy my health, my career, and my love life..."

2) "...I do not like the AA at all. I've been to many meetings as a teen to support my father. One, I'm not religious. Two, I don't feel they address my own reason for drinking..."

3) "...My first concern is detox. I'm not going to quit cold turkey because I'm afraid of violent withdrawl symptoms. I don't want to go to a doctor because I work at the hospital. I know I don't get symptoms if all I have is a couple glasses of wine..."

1) It's the perfect time to quit.....making where you're at at the moment your bottom, and not waiting till you descend any lower.

2) I didn't particularly care for AA, but I went anyway; if for no other reason than it was a place with free coffee, and free A/C, and it was at least an hour that I wouldn't be drinking or using..... (o: ....and for not being religious, I worked the AA pgm as an atheist, with an atheist sponsor, and mostly other atheist recovering folks surrounding me (and all this in what I like to call my li'll corner of the Bible Belt....lol). ....AA doesn't address your 'reason' for drinking...? Heck, they cover all the 'reasons' that folks throw out there, while all the while knowing that the real truth of the matter is that folks drink cause they're alcoholics, and they like the way alcohol makes them feel.....as simple as that; no fancy excuses, or reasons, or triggers [IMHO there ain't no such animal......just a new fancy word used by alcoholics in retrospect while trying to figure out the WHY.....].

3) All I can say about this is BE CAREFUL. Medical advice is a particularly good thing.....folks have been know to die while trying to detox from alcohol.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK......so now we know all the things you are NOT willing to do to get and stay sober ....... what are some of the things you ARE willing to do.....remember.....it's usually a good thing to be willing to go to any lengths to get and stay sober.....Personally, I usually look at this as .... there are some lengths to which a person needn't go , but 'almost' any lengths is a very good thing..... (o:

Looking forward to more posts and info on how you're doing....

NoelleR
Old 08-15-2008, 12:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Noelle,

What does IMHO stand for?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

In My Humble Opinion...
Old 08-15-2008, 03:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scott28 View Post
I do not like the AA at all. I've been to many meetings as a teen to support my father. One, I'm not religious. Two, I don't feel they address my own reason for drinking.

Hello and Welcome.

I just want to say ............AA is not a religious group, it is a spiritual group. There is a huge difference. The steps taught me a better design for living. I am not religious eithor, but I am spiritual.

Also .................Look for the similiarities in the rooms not for the differences. Look for what you can relate to in your own way.

When I came into the rooms, I thought I was so different. The people in my home group are all much younger than me. I said there is no way they can relate to what I have done or felt. They never drank the way I did.

When I sat down and listened with an openmind. I realized that we are all the same in our own way. We all had a desire the stop drinking. We all felt the same way about our drinking. The only difference was they had worked the Steps and was relieved of the obsession to drink again. They were all happy, joyous and free. I wanted that.

So, if you choose to give it a try again, go in with an openmind and a willingness to listen. If it doesnt work, you have the choice to leave.

Good luck on your journey to freedom. Keep us posted.