Notices

Individuality of drinkers (addicts)

Old 08-13-2008, 02:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

Individuality of drinkers (addicts)

I read some posts and I think..."yep, that is me" and others and I think "Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?" One thing I have realised is that my thoughts and every one else's are unique. Funnily enough, sometimes I read something I click with and then I read what the DOC has been and go "huh??? OMG, you took THAT!!!! (lol!)"

I am single, agnostic, animal-loving, accidental career-woman, athlete...who drinks and thinks this is SO NOT a good idea but...

Off on holiday on Friday...guaranteed sober after first day (staying with my Mum) and NEED to get in different head-space as currently p*&^-ed off with world...and with wine which is NOT working for me (Please excuse all upper-case...am grumpy).

Excuse ramble...
Grumpy Pup
Old 08-13-2008, 02:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hiya grumpy ramblin' pup! I am off to nite-nites soon, but wanted to send a wave your way. Good to see you back here. BTW-your dog thinks he's a cat and your cat thinks she's a flower...:wtf2/
I thought I was confused! LOL
Old 08-13-2008, 03:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back pupmum.

I know we've been here before and yes LOL I'm going to say it all again

of course we're all individual - I bet I'm the only stuttering university educated alkie musician with cerebral palsy here.

Well the only Australian one anyway.... LOL

For years, I used that uniqueness to hide from the fact that groups us all together - I was an addict....in my case - a common drunk. No more no less.

We're all the same in that we have this addiction that will kill us if we don't take action.

However you do it, you have to be willing to admit you're an alcoholic/addict, willing never to drink or use again, no matter what, and you have to be ready to accept that it will suck to get sober and clean. It's a long process, much longer than any of us wants. You will want to give in time and time and time again, but you can't if you want to beat this - not once. You don't start over, you start deeper than where you were.

You have to be prepared to change your life and the way you live it. You have to be prepared to change the way you think and to swallow some pretty bitter medicine from time to time.

Ultimately, you have to be ready for the fact that your way might not work and you may have to do it someone else's way in the end.

I'm not saying this to annoy you or to disagree with anything you've said - I'm not trying to preach - I'm saying this because I know it to be the 100% incontrovertible truth for all of us, and sometimes it's good to put that out there.

Best of luck
have a good break at your mums and I hope you keep posting,
D

Last edited by Dee74; 08-13-2008 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Well, we're unique in that we all took different paths to find this place and recovery, but I choose to look at the similarities. In my journey, I've found I'm not as unique as I thought I was, and I find comfort in that fact. I look at the folks with long term sobriety here and in my real life, and try to do what they've done in order to stay sober.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good Morning to you PupMum! Yes we are all unique individuals with a common problem. I draw a lot of strength from reading the posts here. Just seeing how everyone is doing and reporting their accomplishments is so rewarding to me.

Hope your day is a good one!

:ghug3

Give Timmy (greyhound), Oxy (Italian greyhound), and Romeo (whippet) a tummy rub for me. Did I get the names right?
Old 08-13-2008, 10:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

Originally Posted by least View Post
Yes we are all unique individuals with a common problem.
That's what I was trying to say!!

Have been trying to work out why sometimes SR makes me want to hug people and share my ginger beer (that is non-alcoholic drink in case anyone confused) and sometimes it makes me want to DRINK and yell &*^% off all you perfect people! Of course it is not SR that does this...just my reaction.

And yep you got the boys names right!

I need a holiday!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I could really use a holiday myself, a mental holiday at least, since I can't afford the physical holiday. sober now for 32 days but feel like sh!t and don't know why. Physically and mentally. Just feel crappy and disconnected and don't know why. But... I won't drink over it.

:ghug