Notices

What I did today instead of drinking

Old 08-13-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

About 10 minutes ago I started feeling almost like I was having a panic attack... lots of sudden anxiety for no good reason and the overwhelming urge to just SCREW IT ALL and have a drink. Is this normal?
Yes!

Trying so hard - YOU DID IT!! I know you're tired but that's so cool. Thank you for posting your struggle and victory!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:58 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had the strength and ambition to walk the dogs three times today! I bet they're wishing I stay sober as they get more walks when I'm clear headed and looking out for their best interests - and walking is second only to eating!

I visited a couple I know from church and took their dog and my two out for a long walk. The couple both have bad arthritis and can't take him for long walks. The four of us had a lovely walk! We will definately do it again!

I also volunteered to dog sit that same dog when they go away next week. I'm cheaper than the vet and their dog will have lots more fun being in a family setting instead of spending too many hours a day in his kennel. At my house he'll have my two dogs for company so he won't get too depressed that his mom and dad aren't there.

I signed up to host a 'house party' for my preferred candidate and will be talking to lots of my neighbors. I couldn't do that if I were drinking.

Cleaned up some of the clutter in the house!

It's just nice all the way around to be living sober!

:ghug
Old 08-14-2008, 02:40 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

So far being deployed to Iraq has made it easy not to drink. However to ensure I won't fall back into my old habits I have completely rebuilt myself spiritually and physically. I have invite Christ back into my life as well as dropping twenty pounds of alcohol fueled fat, reduced my blood pressure as well as cholesterol levels. I have never felt better in my life. I still have a long road to go, a lifetimes worth to be honest but I will never stop the journey. I will be attending AA once a week as well as a non-12 step recovery. I am just looking for the best approach, one might work, or both is fine as well. I will be working daily to keep myself in the physical shape I can achieve by attending Muay Thai or BJJ/Judo, just depends on the day. I am going back to surrounding myself with positive people and staying away from my demons from the past. While this is a few months off, this is what I will be doing instead of drinking, each day, everyday.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Just wanted to write that if you live with chronic pain there's things to do instead of drinking.

I was in a lot of pain this week and wasn't able to do much like clean my house LOL

So I read my recovery books and my novel this week.
Watched a lot of TV this week.
Came on the computer just a little to check in. I have to be careful how much time I'm on the computer when I'm in pain.
I did make my meetings and took my pillow for my back.

It's been a boring week, but i didn't drink.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your chronic pain Kat. Glad you went to your meetings and didn't drink.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Yes, Kat, great job! I'm sorry to hear you're in pain. *gentle hugs*

I just cleaned out my fridge and freezer. Started having an anxiety attack because there were bottles of alcohol in the freezer... I'm still a little freaked out, but I didn't open the bottles... actually even threw 2 of the 3 away.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Why not the third Trying?
Okay, so instead of drinking.
I took this week off to hang with my little girl and do stuff around the house.
I took everything out of my bedroom yesterday and took down the popcorn ceiling. I am going to paint and bring tranquility to my bedroom
my husband came home last night and strated to help me. Then he said why don't you take a break and go to your womens meeting while I clean up? How cool is that!!!!
So covered in celing and no make up, I went to a meeting, came home and today I am going to get my daughter school clothes and then start patching holes.
I LOVE being sober!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
Why not the third Trying?

I took everything out of my bedroom yesterday and took down the popcorn ceiling.
I've taken down a popcorn ceiling before! AHHHHH! What a pain!! But it looks so nice once it's all done. Good luck with that!

I don't know why I didn't throw the third away. It's just some nasty peach schnapps, and I doubt my husband will drink it, and it's almost empty. Maybe I'll go back and throw that one out, too.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Today I got up and walked four miles with a friend and had a major BS session. Wow was that invigorating!!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

TSH: please throw out that last bottle! You "don't know why" you didn't throw it out? Well, I know why! The same reason I'd kept a "just in case" bottle, too! It's your addiction trying to get a fingergrip on you...if you drank even that little bit, you very well could think, "aw, hell, i've ruined my days anyways..might as well...." and be off to get more! Slippery slope! Please toss it! Think of it as the ceremonial toss of alcohol's grip on you! Off it goes!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Chuck it TryingSoHard. Your husband won't care.

I finally emptied out a bottle of that smirnoff hard lemonade last week. I liked knowing it was here before. In case of emergency push this button. Then I realized..
in case of emergency
I don't want to be able to get my hands on alcohol that easily. I want to make a conscience decision to go out and buy it if it comes to that.

Yesterday all I seemed to do instead of not drinking was think about drinking. So...hopefully today will be better.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by bostonluv View Post
Yesterday all I seemed to do instead of not drinking was think about drinking. So...hopefully today will be better.
Oh I was SO there with you. Today's got to be better.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Thinkin of you TSH and bostonLuv :ghug3
I am off to Sea Worls with my daughter. It is the end of our week together ;(
Old 08-15-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I changed the kitty litter in four catboxes, cleaned the bunny cage, vacuumed and mopped the downstairs, washed the dishes, and walked the dogs! And now I'm done for the day and can take a nice shower and relax the rest of the day!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Wow, Least, I'm proud of you! You have come a long way! And, you are really being there for your pups, too! (and kitties and bunnies...) Kudos to you!

I finally got a day off, and had to run to the dentist for emergency---broke a crown this morning! Then, I went to the mall (because it was close to the dentist), and walked around, and missed the days when I would go there often, and not think "twice" about shopping at a mall!

I got a much needed item, and came home to my puppy, and we both curled up on the couch and took a 3 hour nap!

Not exactly how I had "planned" to spend my day, but, it was a very good day. Now, I have to get ready for work again tomorrow!

Honu
Old 08-18-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Tonight I am taking my 6 year old son back to school shopping and then buying him a cheap chess board.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

After work, I'm going to go home and walk my dog, change, go to 5:30 yoga, pick up my buddy Sarah and go to my home group at 8, then drop by my sponsor's mom's house because she's going to pay me for house sitting for her last week, then I'm going home to girly chat with my roommate.