Notices

AA meeting?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA meeting?

k. over the last year of trying to stop, i have come to realize i can not stop drinking on my own, no matter how stubborn i am. so i am considering going to an AA meeting this Wednesday...one slight problem...i have a severe case of social anxiety along with depression, and i know this sounds stupid, but will i have to introduce myself? or will they call upon me or something? I would like to just go and listen and not say anything for at least my first time...possibly 2nd or 3rd time i could talk, but i cant to it first time :/ thanks for any comments
Old 08-02-2008, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SmallRaccoon,

I think you will be able to just listen at first, but others will be along who can answer your question.

I am glad you're taking care of yourself.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Of course you can just go and listen. If they ask you to talk, just say something like you've said on here, and remember the word NO is a complete sentence too.

Dunno if I am getting ahead of you here but you may find it helpful to try a few different meetings as all meetings are a little different, even though the message is the same.

:ghug3
Old 08-02-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here is a great article on what to expect at your first AA meeting:

Your First AA Meeting
Old 08-02-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey there! Not sure what part of town you are in but my husband chairs a meeting in East Houston on Wednesday nights. If you want to check it out send me a PM and I will give you the details!

Take care,
Kellye
Old 08-03-2008, 03:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At least here in Boston, you can go and simply listen. That's about all I could do at first. I'd slip in after the meeting had started, find a comfortable place in the back, and just listen.

Nowadays, even after twelve years of AA sobriety, I sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable at meetings, but I roll with it. I bring a book or magazine to read during breaks... even to meetings where I know a lot of people. It gives me something to do.

On days where I feel the need to talk to people, which is sometimes hard for me, I wear a New York Yankees t-shirt. That gets a lot of people's attention here in Boston. It's a real ice-breaker - to say the least.

Try the meeting. My life has never been the same since I went to AA. It's all good.

Mike
Old 08-03-2008, 05:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

(Mike, how about those Yankees yesterday?)

Hi smallRaccoon - I suffer too from severe shyness & self-consciousness. I couldn't say much the first few times I went to meetings, which were court ordered - I was way too emotional & just choked up each time I tried to talk, but no one made me feel bad about it. Gradually I did say a few things, but never felt pressured to. I think the more you listen to other's stories you'll end up joining in. I'm glad you're coming to this conclusion and giving it a try. Please let us know how it goes. Love, Joanie
Old 08-03-2008, 09:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's why I made the offer I did, to sort of pave the way but I agree you don't HAVE to do anything. Best thing might be to try and locate a speakers meeting at first. That way you are there to here a member tell their story (what it was like, what happened to get them sober, and what it is like today). Then you can work up from there. But my offer still stands to kind of make your first meeting less painful by at least knowing there is an SR member waiting for you when you get there.

Whatever you choose I wish you nothing but the best!

Take care,
Kellye
Old 08-03-2008, 09:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You can arrive 5 minutes late and leave 5 minutes early if you really want to.

Then maybe as you become more comfortable you'll join in.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm..
how about bringing a friend for support?
Many people come with family or friends in the beginning.

Good to know you are planning to explore AA
it's been an awesome adventure for me...