Notices

Muscle Loss?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Muscle Loss?

Hey everyone,

Did anyone experience significant muscle loss in their arms and legs immediately after quitting drinking cold turkey? I was a pretty hard drinker (average 6 pack a night) for around 5-6 years and quit very recently. I'm wondering if the loss is reversible with exercise. I feel like my legs and arms lost all strength and definition. I've been reading around online for the different alcohol induced muscle diseases (myopathy, etc.) but was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience. If so, did getting back in the gym help? I want to bulk back up but it is a lot more motivating if I know that the loss is actually reversible.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

....Welcome to our recovery community

Well done on your sober time.

It's a great time to swim
that is what I would suggest.

It's always wise to have a medical check up
Dental and eye exam too.
I know I neglected so much when I ws a drinker.

Good to see a new member...
Old 08-02-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

Most likely you only noticed muscle loss after quitting drinking. Quitting doesn't cause muscle loss. Working out and eating a proper diet with bulk you back up not to mention helping you stay stopped. Exercise and [proper diet, at least for me, are the best tools for ensuring my sobriety. By adding exercise you will help with both of your goals.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I began exercising more in conjunction with quitting drinking, so I expereinced an opposite effect.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
PADRE

It's totaly normal to get smaller in recovery especially from beer. Setting bulk aside are you experienceing loss of strength or stamina? Bulk may just have been water-weight. Only protein builds muscle, amino acids.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This was an almost overnight thing.* Literally 24-48 hours after quitting, my thighs, arms, and butt twitched uncontrollably and I experienced visible atrophy (shrunk muscles).* While I was drinking, I worked out and ran consistently and maintained a good physique.* It's a little counter intuitive I know, getting weaker after cessation of drinking.* But I think I just need to ask my Dr. about it and maybe get a muscle biopsy.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I think to have atrophy you'd have to drink alot more than you did, but I had definite muscle cramping & spasms for about 1-2 wks. after quitting & it all stopped completely.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well they definitely atrophied significantly. Anyh idea if it's reversible? I imagine that the arms would be definitely but the quads I would imagine would be tough.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My leg/thigh muscles (which I spent months building up through exercise) have atrophied a bit because during my first couple months off the booze I didn't exercise, didn't feel up to it. I only recently started feeling good enough (physically) to do so again. The reason I know my muscles went down is because I had to start again on my elliptical machine at level 3 and 4 as opposed to 8 that I used before! (But I'm now back up to level 6 and 7).
Old 08-03-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I appreciate the reply.

I'm sure it is some sort of withdrawal symptom. It doesn't sound like anyone has experienced the same thing because my atrophy was not at all gradual or due to disuse, it was literally an overnight thing where the bulk and muscle in my legs shrunk in half, leaving my quads, glutes, and arms with virtually nothing but loose flab. This was 24-48 hrs after quitting cold turkey. It's very disconcerting considering I'm only 25 (drinking regularly since 19). I've been googling non stop for about a week and it's tough to tell what it is, it's like a scientific phenomena. Oh well, looks like I'll be hitting the gym hardcore to recover.