Notices

Weekend is coming!

Old 08-01-2008, 04:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekend is coming!

I'm nervous! This is when I do my real drinking -- usually Saturday night. I usually cycle on Sat. morning and I know I can't ride with a hangover so I save my drinking for Sat.

I am committed to staying sober, but I'm scared I'll find an excuse for myself to cut loose. Last weekend I made plans to have coffee with a friend and within 12 hours coffee turned into martinis at my house! UGH! I CAN'T let that happen again!

Anyone else feeling nervous about the weekend?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

remind yourself to stay in the moment and just don't take that 1st drink do something else.take a walk read a book go for a job go swimming anything but drink
good luck
Old 08-01-2008, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Planning ahead helps, but keep in mind that everything changes... So try to be flexible and improvise, but don't lose sight of your goal: you don't want to drink. That's the priority. If you start craving, just refocus on that and take it as it comes. It does get easier
Old 08-01-2008, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

Got a few weekends under my belt now but I'm very selective about who I see and what I do at the mo. A little social exclusion for a couple of months, till I'm stronger, is worth it for my sobriety.
Chocolate helps,I don't worry about putting on weight considering the amount of calories I'd guzzle from bottles and cans.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann

I am scared to death of week-ends too. I haven't had a sober week-end in - - - I cannot remember when. We socialize with friends in a camping setting all week-end, every week-end and alcohol is always involved. I am pretty nervous about it. I honestly think I am NOT going to go, just to remove myself from the situation.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Laciemae- That's a good idea to just remove yourself from the situation. I have been avoiding situations that will tempt me. At least for now because it is only Day 7 and I know how easy it would be for me to slip back into the routine. I hate weekends also. It just seems like it is Friday and I should have a couple of beers. Of course I know that a couple of beers will lead to a 12 pack and then a day laying on the couch hating myself and swearing not to drink again. And the worst thing is it will put me back to Day 1 and at this time then I wouldn't be a member of the July club.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Saturdays have always been my drinking day also. Get to start early and stay drunk all day if I want to. I really hate it though. By 6:00 PM I'm like, what have I done to myself again?! This is so boring! So this weekend I've got a home paint project and I'm hanging new curtains. Suddenly I'm very interested in my home and wanting to spruce it up. I'm almost oobsessed with it. Anything to keep me busy.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm scared too. This will be my first weekend sober and I know it going to be hard. Have already planned a picnic at the beach with my family for Saturday, but Saturday night will be hard. Let's all hang in there together~~

I can't wait to wake up on a Sunday morning and read the newspaper without a hangover!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Be strong Think! Weekends are my worst enemy too, however, if i stay sober, weekends are my greatest achievement. I also cycle, and I've been adding an extra ride on Saturday evenings.

I would love to see a post from you Monday about your sober weekend!!!

Heavy
Old 08-01-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! During the day I can stay busy with the kids, going biking, etc. but the night is killer! My stepson is having a friend spend the night so that will almost force me upstairs b/c they take over the den with xbox and the like. That is good because that's where I like to sit and drink. I stopped drinking in my bedroom b/c it freaked me out to wake up and see a beer bottle or drink glass on my night stand. (People without problems don't do this, right?)

I will probably be on here surfing so if anyone is on here, I will probably be here too!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I will probably be here all weekend surfing too!!! It is better than drinking. Today is the first day I have felt really good. That is scarry because my little voice might tell me that it wouldn't hurt to have a couple of beers on a Friday night. I will have to talk over that voice.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You probably want to bring a friend who knows your situation with you, to make sure you don't even take one drink. If the people around you don't know you have a problem, they can't try to help you stop it.