Notices

so I've decided to stop drinking...

Old 07-29-2008, 03:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

so I've decided to stop drinking...

As I've stated in a prior post, I don't drink everyday but when I do drink, I often take it to oblivion.

Now that I've decided to stop, why am I thinking about it ALL THE TIME! Is this normal? Am I obsessing only because I've made the decision?

Anyone with any insight?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would say yes it is because you have made the decission to stop. For me I didn't really think about drinking while I was drinking it was only when I decided to stop that i'd start obsessing over it. It calms down though, as long as you don't drink.

Keeping yourself busy helps, I've been reading alot of books, I can't think about two things at once, although sometimes I'll have read half a page and realise I haven't taken a word in as my mind does begin to wonder sometimes. If that happens to much I do something physical instead, like cut the grass or go for a walk.

Sax
Old 07-29-2008, 04:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I stopped last night...if that is considered stopped since it has not been 24 hours yet. I am obsessing too.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How are you feeling diditagain13?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

Yeah,keep busy, fill the void.It does get easier but it's a long haul,a healthy substitute can help,in early sobriety I go nutty for chamomile tea,(makes ya pee tho!)
Old 07-29-2008, 04:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Obsessions very common - it was the main reason why I kept going back to drinking.

I'd think about it all the time and end up downplaying my last drinking disaster or my last drinking related illness or injury - I was fine now - how bad could it be?
How could one or two drinks do any damage?

Of course it was never one or two, and I was off on the cycle again.

Obsessional thoughts suck, but for me the way past it was to remind myself that they're just that - thoughts.

You don't have to act on them - distract yourself, keep busy, watch a movie, hang out with sober friends - anything that you enjoy and/or keeps you occupied - and above all keep reading and posting here.

Candies are quite good too LOL

The obsession does fade

good luck
D
Old 07-29-2008, 05:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The cravings and thoughts are your 'disease' talking to you.

Recognize the difference between what YOU want, and what your disease wants.

Also realize that your disease wants you DEAD.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thinktoomuch View Post
As I've stated in a prior post, I don't drink everyday but when I do drink, I often take it to oblivion.

Now that I've decided to stop, why am I thinking about it ALL THE TIME! Is this normal? Am I obsessing only because I've made the decision?

Anyone with any insight?
thinktoomuch...It's been my experience that when trying to give up ANYTHING (tobacco, certain foods, caffeine, alcohol) in life, obession can kick in. It's a real pain! The only thing I have successfully given up was tobacco and although it was hard in the beginning, I did it. This gives me proof that I DO have the strength to do whatever I put my mind to. It's been over 10 years since I quit being a daily smoker, but WHENEVER I drink, I get the urge to smoke and if the opportunity presents itself, I will. I do not, however, EVER crave cigarettes when I am sober. And that is key, because I enjoyed smoking very much. I smoked for over 10 years. It's very strange how that works...

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
The cravings and thoughts are your 'disease' talking to you.

Recognize the difference between what YOU want, and what your disease wants.

Also realize that your disease wants you DEAD.
tommyk...This is so true and so scary! I never looked at it this way until I joined this community and it puts A LOT of things into perspective.

Stay strong...you are making a very courageous and wise decision to quit now before it goes to another level...I was where you were at and now I've entered a mild "craving" stage where I have to fight the urge to drink at the end of each day...I see the signs and the warnings in my own life...it's time for me to stop and I hate that fact, but it's a fact You can do it!

~M