Notices

How.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sct

How.

This may seem like an oversimplification. Be that as it may.

I've seen a lot of posts on here, asking how to stop. People suggest meetings, reaching out, posting here, etc. That stuff does a lot for staying clean.

The simple truth though, is if you want to stop using... you're going to have to stop using.

Break the time down into as small of fragments as you need to. Don't use for 5 minutes. Then don't use for 10 minutes.

There is no state of mind to get 'ready' to quit. You can't 'pre-quit' before you stop using. No healing begins until you stop harming yourself. You're going to be miserable at first. Remember that. Let it encourage you to keep from using in the future, remembering what hell it was getting clean in the first place.

S*it will happen. Sometimes life will suck. If you don't use, you can get better though, and learn to survive hard times. It's not easy, it's not overnight, but if you keep at it... it can last you the rest of your life, and you can have a rest of your life to live.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Too true sct. Thanks
Old 07-18-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by sct View Post
There is no state of mind to get 'ready' to quit. You can't 'pre-quit' before you stop using.
I tend to agree, I'm sure there are outside circumstances in some cases, but essentially - please QUIT, right now. Maybe don't talk about quitting while you're drinking, just QUIT.

This may fall under the category of, "Share your experience and hope... don't share what you hope to experience?"

Not intended toward anyone in specific, no offense intended. To each their own, whatever works.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pursue your dreams

Ditto!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with what is being said. God knows I had the best intentions every day the last year of my drinking that I was going to quit that day and then that evening I'd convince myself that I'd just drink less, try to taper down, and slowly but surely quit because I didn't want to go through the withdrawals that were a part of my every day life by then.

Having said that, I just shared yesterday that it took a month of me sitting in meetings working up the courage and hope that perhaps if this was working for the people sitting at the table with me then it could maybe work for me too.

Finally I had a moment that goes back to the original poster. I spent a day in fellowship with my new home group and had gone through my daily shakes but was in good spirits, having a good time with them and wanting so desperately what they had. The came to me just as loud and as clear as if someone were speaking to me and the thought was this. "If you are going to do this thing, you need to just do it. It's time to sh*t or get off the pot." I'd like to think it was divine intervention but my HP doesn't use language like that LOL!!!!

Regardless of what it was, I took the action and got a new desire chip that night. August 8 will mark 4 years since that day.

So yes, I had to just stop but for me (and me alone) I needed that ray of hope that came from being with other recovering alcoholics.

Good topic, can't wait to hear other viewpoints!

Take care,
Kellye
Old 07-18-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm only on day five but keep watching the 'end of the tape' and reminding myself how awful withdrawal is. Having to drink first thing in the morning to quell the shakes is awful too. And it means not having my coffee cause of being too agitated.

I keep replaying the end of the tape and am trying to create some new "neural pathways" to replace the 'drinking pathways'.

thanks to all here for the constant support and love. It sure helps!

:ghug
Old 07-18-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sct, yep...

its not the Caboose that kills us, its the Engine!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I like Least's 'end of the tape' concept.

It is so easy to glamorize and savor the thought of using...

...until you run that tape to the end. And it gets U-G-L-Y.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Nothing beats puking in the sink...and still trying to drink. Now that is sick, eh?

Play the tape...AND think about that feeling you feel when you just wake up and realize...that you have drank again. Ewww, I hated that.

HOW to stay sober in the beginning when you are trying to get out of the physical addiction part.

Drink relaxing tea...no caffine at all.
Sleep right
Eat right
take walks
clean your room/house/apartment
Write
Read
Find meetings
Be nice and forgiving to yourself
Be nice to the people you love
Realize that it will take time to rebuild trust, and if you keep blowing it..then it just takes longer to build that trust.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I quit was when I was honest openminded and willing.....and had hope.

There were many choices I made prior to that time that took me closer to sobriety. I am so grateful for all those who did not give up on me when I had to say time after time...I'm drunk again. They believed in me when I could not believe in myself. That was the beauty of AA for me, and it gave me the hope to surrender.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sct

It is so easy to glamorize and savor the thought of using...

...until you run that tape to the end. And it gets U-G-L-Y.
Yeah, I always fast forward to the end. My end is real ugly.