Notices

Health Insurance

Old 07-09-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Health Insurance

Not sure this is appropriate but its a thought I had while reading Steamvessels thread and I've noticed it mentioned in other posts as well.

My question is, how does medical Insurance in the states work ?

Do you need to be accepted for it or is it a set price for everyone ?

I guess what I'm getting at is, do you need to disclose how much you used to drink in order to be covered ? Does this put your premiums up ?

How expensive is insurance ?

Just interested, being nosey really.

We moan over here in the UK but the National Health service seems really good in comparison.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I pay zero for my health insurance
no exam required.

I do have a co pay for prescriptions
either $2 or $5 + $16 per month.

The reason is I live on my Social Security benefits
and that is well below the poverty line....
Old 07-09-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Fizzy

I've experienced both systems and althought the NHS is often lacking, you have no idea how much anxiety and financial hardship health insurance causes over here.

Depending on your location and coverage amounts you will pay different amounts. Good coverage for a single man may be $400+ per month and that dosen't included dental. A family policy may be $800+ But what I find almost worse than the cost is the confusion. Is your Dr approved by your insurance company, do you want coverage level A, B or C.

I would vote for national health care every time.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am so thankful for Canada's health care system.

It's not perfect - sometimes waiting periods are long and our taxes are probably higher.

But, it's always free, for each and every person, and there are no limitations to which dr you choose to see or how often. Cost is never an issue.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I only pay about $280 per month for my health insurance, but I have a $5000 deductible. So it is really only there if something big happened to me. I have only been to the Doctor 5 times in 20 years.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I "think" he also was wondering (as I am) does the disclosure of alcoholism affect the rates? I too am curious about this.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Thanks guys

yea, that was what I was thinking Horselover.

Was thinking perhaps that it could be a reason why in so many threads I see people being reluctant to consult a doctor.

I'm only guessing/ wondering that if they admit to how much they've been drinking their premiums may go up, or the cover invalidated.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My insurance is about 300/mth, but the employer pays most of that..but it is an xtra 250 to put my family on.

The co-pays are like 20$....but without insurance in america...which so many don't have (like my son) it is outrageous..you can't get a dr so you go to the emergency room....last time chris went it was 1k for a small tooth infection and the dr. is about 70$ per visit...so you don't go and then get sicker...it's crazy!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I have never been questioned about my alcohol intake for my health insurance.
Maybe if they had to pay for rehab, it would affect your rates?
I know that some insurance's require you to take a physical, but I have been asked to.
For me, the reluctance to see a doctor in my active drinking was my fear of:
#1 The doctor would be able to tell and address my alcoholism
#2 I might have physical issues cause by my alcoholism that would have to be faced if I saw my doctor

In my full blown drinking, I did not want to face ANYTHING!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ooops...and if you work for the state gov. you don't have exclusio of "preexisting conditions, and you don't get higher rates if your alchoholic....but with independant insurance I thin k that is a problem
Old 07-09-2008, 03:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was questioned about my alcohol intake for the past 5 years (smoking too). If you lie and they later learned that your drinking or smoking caused whatever it is that is ailing you, they do not have to pay for it.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you TTOSBT. My husband is looking into changing jobs very soon and I thought if it was a pre-existing condition or something we might be affected. I have not "needed" to go to a doctor yet and so I haven't had to face it head on yet. He is Type 2 Diabetic and our insurance doesn't seem to be affected by that. Interesting.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Health care in the US in really in a crisis state. If you don't have a full time job that offers insurance benefits, or are self-employed like me, you have to pay a lot of money every month for coverage (more than I can afford). State assistance varies depending on your location. I have lived in a few states that had accessible (if limited) programs. No one ever asked about my alcohol consumption, but at those times I was still very "high functioning" and I wanted to hide it.

Ironically, I now live in what is considered one of the most "progressive, liberal" cities in the country and I can't find any local support that seems sane and actually (gasp) healthy. Yesterday I called all over the place, looking for a safe place to detox. People told me either to move or to go to the ER. Now THAT would be expensive detox! Shees, I'd rather go to the mountains, meditate and eat granola for a week! lol
Old 07-09-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Health insurance in this country is in an awful state.

I currently have none. That will change August1. Thankfully..I'm pretty healthy. And one of the main reasons that I took this job was that my health benefits are 100% paid. You pretty much never hear that anymore, and for a small independent doc's office, it's pretty darn good.

My ex pays about 250 a month for him and the kids. Still, pretty darn decent.

My partner, has no health insurance and it completely sucks. Her health issues are chronic and she needs to go to a doc pretty badly. Her benefits kick in September 1.

Oh..I had to answer a questionairre to apply for the health insurance. They didn't ask if I had an alcohol/substance abuse problem, nor if I smoked. If they had, I would've been honest. I was thankful that it wasn't asked.

I'd rather wait a month or two to see a doc for something like allergies or a messed up menstrual cycle, if it meant that nobody had to go without health coverage.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am unemployed and have no health insurance at all. I could be eligible for Medicaid but would have to go thru an involved application process. Health care in the USA really sucks. And emergency rooms are no substitute for regular preventive health care.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

WOW....I want to see something different happen in healthcare, but....I have to say that for all it's faults, there are those who have it worse.

I was in morroco a few years back and there was a person on the side of the road trying to get some help for an open infected wound on his hand.....so even though the cost of healthcare was much cheaper there, many of the people who live there are not making enough to go to a dr. And I don't think some places have the option of the hospital....At least I know here that if I go to a public hospital with appendisitis or something I will probably get treated and the billing part figured out later.

I may be wrong, but when i showed up w/out proof of insurance I was still treated and then the cost was discussed.

I'm sure you'll all jump in and let me know if I am wrong about this