Notices

first weekends sober

Old 06-30-2008, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first weekends sober

Do anyone have any tips/advice for a newly sober member. Staying sober through the week should be attainable. I just worry about my first few weekends. What have some of you done to keep away for temptations besides shut yourself in. I am an active person and feel that i need to get out and see what i can do without the crutch of alcohol. I remember times before i became addicted but they seem so long ago.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I drove around during the evenings, NOT EVEN worried about being pulled over for DUI.

I read some of a book late at night, never having been able to do that before (to drunk at night to read before).

I woke up in the mornings actually getting to know what a Saturday & Sunday morning were - I hadn't known either for years. Too hungover to get up before noon before.

All in all, I was soooo proud of my new lifestyle I didn't even think about drinking.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I keep busy outside all the time, I plan my days (Loosley) and always have something to keep my mind off the alcohol. I bicycle alot and kayak. Staying in for me is the worst. I have also been announcing to everyone that I quit drinking. That way I feel like there is a bunch of drinking police around all the time. I also agree with Tommy K. There is a sense of nobility and success when i can drive home, even froma a bar, and not be worried about a DUI...

Heavy
Old 06-30-2008, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I was really worried about the weekends as well - now 8 weekends in they are just great.

Seem to be twice as long as weekends were when I was drinking, no hangovers, no money wasted on drink so more money to do fun stuff, can remember what I did at the weekend on the monday as well.

Don't even mind going back to work on the monday as much as I did either.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's nice to leave a club and know that you are 100% okay to drive (at least in the BAC dept)! It's good to be able to eat a meal and taste the food (not just shoving it in your face because you're so damn drunk & HUNGRY). It's better yet to make it home and into the next day with that food still in your stomach (you KNOW what I mean)! I also love being able to remember what I said/did/what band(s) played/who I talked to when I go out.

Just food for thought!