Notices

About having a plan...?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

About having a plan...?

Many of you express the need to have a plan in place to assist you in recovery. Can some of you share your plans or parts of these plans that have worked for you?

I apologize for asking for information that might be elsewhere on the site. I'm new to the site and already have learned a great deal from you.

Theresa
Old 06-30-2008, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am just starting the recovery process AGAIN.
But this time I do have a plan.
At least to cut my trigger off.
Money for me is my one and only trigger. Well I may have others but they are far fetched.
Money is my 100% guaranteed trigger.
So as I start this new job. I have set it up so my check is derict deposited into my grams account. And she has set up with her bank that noone under any circumstances is allowed to access her account for any reason . And she has put a flag on any checks made out for cash.
So that there is going to help me big time.
Other than that I am working on getting a network. Meaning sober people to call..hang with..whatever.
Thats all I got at the moment.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey Theresa. Welcome to SR. You have landed on a great site for help and advice of you efforts.

You plan may include, a trip to your doctor to explain what is is you are on. From there s/he can assist in a detox plan. If you doing this solo, you might want to have some numbers handy in case things get a bit dicey. Perhaps, if necessary, you may need to go into a detox center. If so, then you will need to make the necessary calls to start that process.

The idea of a plan is for YOU to figure out what it is you are about to do and make all the necessary arrangements for that to happen.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My 'plan' involves NA meetings, working the 12 steps, reliance on a higher power, facing reality at all times, and talking about my issues.

Welcome, and best wishes toward a speedy recovery.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hi Theresa, welcome!
My plan from Day 1 was an active AA program. I go to meetings almost every day, I pray, I have a sponsor, I call her, I am working the steps, I am trying to eat right, exercise, taking vitamins (to replenish what i have lost) and try to get enough sleep (that is easier said than done). Oh yeah, I am writing too. One thing that was really helpful the first couple of weeks was writing a gratitude list every day. I write at least 3 things that I am grateful for every evening. It really reminds me that no matter what I am going through today, 54 days ago, my life was SO much worse.
Good luck and keep posting! :ghug3
Old 06-30-2008, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Theresa, Welcome here, i think you'll like it! I seem to do pretty good during the week. I recently posted a message about the upcoming weekend with my family gone, and the urge to drink creeping up. It's a good advice read. "My first real test...."
My plan was to keep busy until bed-time. I planned out my hours to avoid the drinking. needless to say, I did not drink, and I felt great about it. I couldn't have done it without the suggestions and support of the people i found here. The temptation has passed for now...

Heavy
Old 06-30-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My simple plan:

don't drink
don't smoke
lots of NA beverages (cranberry and club soda)
eat right
get some exercise
attend a meeting if I can
Old 06-30-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Well, I guess my plan every day is to not take a drink, to make it to bed sober, and to wake up the next day and do it all over again. But that's just simple, basic ideas. Most days I need a better plan if I want to stay sober.

I start my days with prayer and meditation. Then it's off to work where I post on SR when I have free time, sometimes I call another alcoholic or get calls from sponsees. When I leave work I go to an AA meeting, after that I spend time with my kids or GF, or friends in the program.

If I focus on doing that one day at a time it doesn't seem to overwhelming or difficult, most days it's incredibly enjoyable and rewarding. The only thing I don't want to be planning is where my next drink is coming from. For 27 years that was exhausting!
Old 06-30-2008, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I ask members if they have a plan...
It's a nudge to have them think of a positive action.

For me....it's fliving daily in the AA Steps.

...Welcome to our recovery community
Old 06-30-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have 3 weeks clean now - but still don't have a plan. I packed up and moved across the country to try and get rid of all triggers. guess what. they found me.
so now I have to come up with perhaps a more sensible plan, now that my mind in clear enough to think. I read a lot of what the "experienced" members on here have to say, and I figure with bits and pieces that pertain to my situation, and a little adjusting, I should be able to come up with something.

I hope you do too! just pay close attention to what others on here have to share with you (whether it's nice or not) 'cause I've found ALL of the support I get to be valuable.

best of luck!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Plans

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful suggestions.

Reading these posts, you have made aware (conscious) of how much planning has gone on my life, planning on having a drink or more at night while very aware that it is never, never good for me--this has been such an exhausting mental process to put myself through on almost a daily basis. argh...

And I know that if I were to move and change my surroundings that I will bring this problem with me. Got to get to the basis of the problem, which is to not take that first drink, ever.

Can't begin to tell you what a relief it is to have some folks to talk about this with.

Theresa
Old 06-30-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I put together a plan that has worked for me for the last five months. I get to as many AA meetings as possible, work the steps......and this time around I mean WORK the steps (2 relapses behind me) and rely on my sponsors....yep, as in plural....and my other AA buddies when I need to talk to someone.

We are lucky to live in this day and age when it's so easy to stay touch with cell phones, email, texting. Just think what it was like 70 years ago.

Anyway, the best plan is what works for you. Post yours here if you like and we'll give you feedback.

Good luck, and welcome to the board!!