Notices

From the brink...

Old 06-17-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

From the brink...

Was on the brink of drinking just about an hour ago. Found something out earlier this afternoon -- a big disappointment. Won't go into details, though, because it's not really relevant...

I'm 30 days sober today, and up until now I've had some thoughts of giving in -- but not like this. My husband poured my martini, threw in five olives and brought it out to me. It looked great -- nicely chilled. And it smelled wonderful.

I was about to take that first sip, but thought about it for a moment. Asked myself if I was ready to blow my 30 days. Haven't been sober for this long since I turned 21... 26 years of self medicating to handle the "disappointments."

Then I logged on here. I reread some of my posts, some back as far as 11/06. Then I read and reread a bunch of others -- posts by so many of you who've made such a difference in my life.

I don't want to give in and have a second, then a third, etc. I don't want to wake up tomorrow feeling absolutely miserable, wondering how I got to bed. I don't want my kids to look at me tomorrow morning and think "I'll bet she has another hangover."

Long story short -- I followed some of the advice I've given to some of the other newbies who've posted here recently. EVEN THOUGH I REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO AT THE TIME.

I stopped.
Thought.
Logged on.
Read my old posts.

and posted.

It worked today; I didn't drink. I pray to God it works next time, too.

One day at a time....
Old 06-17-2008, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You rock, Liz.
Thank you.

D
Old 06-17-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WOW!!!! Do you realize what you did? Something that many people coudnt do, you resisted. That is just great!! Keep up the good work, please.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Newleaf - Thank you so much for your post. I have been so close (not your kind of close though) for the past week and its been quite a struggle. I stopped counting my sober days and are going day to day. Thank you so much. Wait I already said that, but it can't hurt to say it again. It must be a full moon or something . . .
Old 06-17-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So glad you shared this with us! it does work! thank you so much!

:ghug3
Old 06-17-2008, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Liz, I'm so very proud of you for getting through this without drinking. Congratulations on 30 days!

Oh yeah - not sure of hubby's motive in pouring you a drink, but if you haven't already, now would be the time to ask him to be respectful of your recovery - he needs a frying pan over the head for that one! Good on you for not taking the drink then blaming him for pouring it.

Last edited by Rowan; 06-17-2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: j/k about the frying pan
Old 06-17-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

here....you can borrow mine

after all - we all need to stick together!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. I'm just glad I had all of YOU to share this with. Truly!!!

It IS so incredibly hard.

Just so people know, I asked my husband to make the martini. MY BAD. I was feeling low, beaten down -- and I (and my disease, which did most of the talking) "convinced" him to oblige.

As some of you know, although he knows it's hard for me sometimes (well -- maybe often) he continues to drink every night ending in "Y." I thought I'd convinced him to at least stop during the work week not too long ago, but that lasted -- oh... about three days. I'm trying to remember that I need to focus more on overcoming MY ADDICTION. I can't work on his.

Maybe that will come later.

Anyway -- you guys are great.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
here....you can borrow mine

after all - we all need to stick together!
I should knock myself out for having asked!!!!

D'oh!!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Another day of victory for you!!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

congratulations on staying sober, despite feelings to the contrary! The best advice I could give you, you've already given yourself: one day at a time!! THat's how we get there, to sober life, we travel one day at a time!.

:ghug3
Old 06-17-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on staying sober. Have your husband join SR, then log into the mens room here and we'll give him a good cyber ass-chewing for not being more supportive.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh Bravo Bravo!!!!