Notices

Now is the time...

Old 06-08-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Now is the time...

Hey. I was browsing the web and came across this community. I was looking up information about the physical and mental positive changes your body undergo when alcohol is stopped. Anyhow, I am 25 and started drinking around 19. I had a strong urge to purchase a 12 pack of expensive *budlight or such* beer (I didn't drink any other type of liquor) usually around 6:00-7:00PM. Later I switched to cheap beer (natural light) b/c Budlight was just too expensive to keep buying everyday. I would come home and sit in front of my PC and play games or browse the web. This became a habit and every night I would do the same thing. I was married at the time and it would bother my wife. After buying from the same gas station over and over, I would fell embarassed to go back and see the same clerks. So I would switch to different stores. I recently got to where I would hid beer in the fridge and throw the empty bottles away quickly (or take out the trash) to avoid anyone seeing just how much beer I drank. When I drank, I was still mentally stable. I wouldn't verbally or physically abuse anyone. So after trying to quit off and on for over a year, I've decided that today has to be the day to stop for good. I am tired of waking up late, having a very puffy face and eyes, feeling a little hungover until about 3:00PM, being unproductive with my life every night after work, and not being able to communicate very well at night with my wife (this hurts me the most)...or even more, my wife not being able to wake me up. I am ashamed of my acoholism. I am sure there worse cases out there than mine, but I just wanted to tell my story and ask a couple of questions.

The first thing I wanted to ask was:

1. How long does it take for alcohol to leave the body for good?

2. When I stop, I am sure there is no going back. Anyone have a case where they stopped for a long peroid of time and came back to occasional drinking? Just seems wierd to never have one beer ever again with friends, co-workers, ...etc. I know everyones body is different and time will only tell, but what do you think?

Again, I will keep you updated as I am very excited about quitting. I mean it this time and will fight the urge with all I have. Time for a new me!

P.S. One day so far :P
Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome Mar!

First I want to say, I hope you do really want to quit Drinking!
You only have about 6 years of use and if you truly want this, you can do it!
When I was your age I had no intention what so ever to stop, it was a huge part of my life and did not see it as an issue.

You say "When I stop, I am sure there is no going back" Wow All I can say is, I have tried to stop many many many times and the longer you drink the harder it becomes!

You say "Just seems wierd to never have one beer ever again with friends, co-workers" All I can tell you is at your age peer pressure is brutal and you will have to find new friends who will not push you back into drinking!

"How long does it take for alcohol to leave the body for good?"
It really depends on the person, how long & how much you drink daily?

The things you see "very puffy face and eyes, feeling a little hungover until about 3:00PM" will seem like nothing if you keep on this path. Fast forward 25 years....You now have graduated from NATY LITE... you drink wine, whiskey, vodka, tequila & beer all in the same day because you can. Alcohol is progressive and will sneak you on you, and take you down!

Sorry for going on but your my son's age and felt like going on a rant LOL!

Anyways...good for you that you have this mission and goal to have a life!!!