Notices

New Yeah

Old 06-05-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Yeah

Hey people, you may find this as boring as hell but whatever.

I've read these threads for a few days, and I love the support and help offered, although I'm wary about people actually wallowing in too much self-beating, which probably aids addiction and stupid cycles of behaviour.

I'm 24, have been drinking since about 19. It crept up on me and I think it's like that for most people. I also suffer from extreme anxiety, which goes hand in hand with drinking excessively. So I think the majority of people who have drink or drug problems definately have underlying problems and more than one.

But on the plus side I have good physical health, I live in a beautiful part of a country, have no great pressures....so I'd love to make the rest of my life a sober, sane thing. I'd love to have a greater quality of life - really enjoy food, friends, sleep, just the normal stuff that everyone deserves, and the stuff you can't have properly or appreciate when you are off your head. I am pretty worried about the crap this stuff has done to my mind - I no longer even read...but most people are not irretrievable!!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR, Sam.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Well damn Sam, welcome to SR! How does that old saying go? "Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

None of us are hopeless, it is possible to live and enjoy a clean and sober life. I hope you have the desire to achieve it. Stick around, OK?
Old 06-05-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cheers, I'm just sick of it, want to change it. This sort of site is great if your family/friends aren't interested.

I have been looking into other ways with dealing with the world and my anxieties, medication, relaxation teqniches, but basically none of them will work unless I'm sober. I've been drinking a bottle of vodka on average a night for the past few years, and it's just ridiculous when you have to drink just to feel right and not absolutely horrible.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by SamDamn View Post
I'm just sick of it, want to change it.

it's just ridiculous when you have to drink just to feel right and not absolutely horrible.
You never have to feel this way again. But it's your choice to make. We all make the decision, nobody does it for us.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Sam, your wise for your years @ 24.... If you can stop after 5 years you will have saved yourself lot's brain cells, hard times and $$$$$$'s...
You found a great place @ SR.....
Old 06-05-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sam, I know who else would be interested if your family isn't: Us folks at AA and NA...we'd love to have you join us for a meeting in your part of the world...and it's not as much self-beating as you might think, there's a lot more of love and laughter in those rooms. Fellowship and recovery there too. Recovery can be lonely without some sober buds to hang with--I've met some really cool, fun sober people in NA, I look forward to my Wed. meeting and dinner out with everyone at the diner is the highlight of my week. Not to mention dances and conventions at the beach!! Sometimes there's so much giggling going on with my home group, you'd swear there had to be alcohol involved, but no....hope you can join us sometime soon...
kj
Old 06-05-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi sam...
Welcome!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome Sam! As Astro said please stick around! There is a lot of support here! We are glad that you found us! please keep posting.....Check out the other forums, the stickies at the top of the forums!