Notices

A lot going on today

Old 05-31-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A lot going on today

Hi guys, I've been quite depressed the past couple of days and very nervous. Today is my cousin's Graduation party from college. There's going to be drinking there. I all ready know that if it gets to me too much that I'll leave early after we eat. At least I'll make an appearance and give her her gift.

Today now I'm more nervous about the severe thunderstorms that are going to be in our area. Especially East of us which is where we're going. They had on our local weather last night about the last time there was a tornado there was in 1988. Just what i wanted to hear. When I'm nervous about the thunderstorms as it is. The party is going to be outside under canopy's or whatever you call them at my uncles house.

And then I'm nervous about tonight too when we get back. My AA home group is having a party tonight to celebrate 25 years. We're going to have a speaker, and lots of food. There's going to be a lot of people there tonight. We're normally a very small group, but i know we're going to be packed tonight. I'll probably be passing out the chips again like i always do so that's going to be scary up there in front of all those people.

So I'm just one big nervous Nelly today. LOL

Barb
Old 05-31-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Barb)))

Take a deep breath, sweetie. If you get too nervous, just think of all of us there with you. It's hard to be nervous when you're surrounded by friends and love!

I've been dealing with a lot of stress the past couple weeks, and have just prayed "please help me stay grounded". I still get stressed, but I can calm myself down a lot faster than I used to.

Try and have fun!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-31-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

My Four Favorite Words

Whenever I have feelings that I am not comfortable with, I remind myself of this.

Also, along the One Day at A Time, try to just focus on the next thing that is happening. I know for me it's very overwhelming if I look at all the upcoming situations that could become uncomfortable, I'm just setting myself up for a whole lot of unnecessary anxiety.

And after the situation passes, before I move on to the next, about 99% of the time I just have to laugh. It wasn't as awful as I predicted. I can usually just laugh that I let myself get all worked up over it.

Hang in There,
God Bless,
Judy
Old 05-31-2008, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey Scaredy. Just think of all the fun you are going to have. Later on this evening as you recall the day, a big ole grin will come across your face because you know it turned out to be a great day. A sober day that you stood tall and stood true to yourself.

I lived in upstate for a while. I was just about a 1/4 mile from Lake Ontario in Rochester. Beautiful country up there with the apple orchards and vinyards. Wouldn't mind going back for a visit. Just not during the winter....
Old 05-31-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

How exciting for you also. These 'scary' things that we get to experience are all things we would never get to experience in our using days. Tomorrow this will be a memory that you will have and get to cherish forever. This is just one of the many "Gifts' you get to give to yourself in recovery. It's okay to be nervous, and even depressed. That means we are living and experiencing life as it should be.

Be careful in the weather today, but enjoy yourself. You deserve it!!

****{Hugs}}}
Old 05-31-2008, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

well I hope things are going OK for ya Scaredy
thinking of you

D
Old 05-31-2008, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you're having a good day too, Barb!

Let us know how it turned out.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just try to breathe through it and ENJOY yourself!
Old 05-31-2008, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hey Scaredykat,

When I was feeling similar to this recently, my sponsor reminded me to remember the Third Step and how I turned my will and my life over to the care of God. I am under his CARE and his PROTECTION. And I need to let go of my anxieties and fears and let God take care of them.

I don't know if you're an AA person so maybe that doesn't help. At any rate, I am sorry you're feeling overwhelmed. I hope you find some serenity and a way to move forward peacefully. Hang in there.

Hey, weren't you the person who wrote that poem, "Some Days Really Suck Being Sober" ? Maybe this is just one of those sucky days.

- MLE
Old 05-31-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Guys, well it turned out to be a wonderful, beautiful day. The thunderstorms went further East then they thought they would. So we had a very nice picnic for my cousin's graduation party. The sun was out for most of the day when they said it would rain all day.

I made it through the day with the people drinking a round me. I actually wasn't any where near them. Boy, drunks get noisy. LOL I guess my cousin and her friends were playing drinking games. I remember those days. But they were a very long time ago. My drinking ended as a lot of you know with drinking everyday all by myself.

My AA home group went off great. We had a lot of people show up. A ton of food. Great speaker. I didn't have to do the chips tonight. Phew! They didn't ask me.

So i was a nervous Nelly for nothing. It's probably a character defect I'll have to work on someday when I get to that step.

Originally Posted by mle-sober View Post
Hey, weren't you the person who wrote that poem, "Some Days Really Suck Being Sober" ?

- MLE
Yep, that was me.

Thanks guys,
Barb
Old 05-31-2008, 08:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

After an experience like today you'll begin to just think about upcoming events as opposed to worrying about upcoming events. But I'm glad that it worked out for the best.

And about them noisy drunks! Dangittttt!
Old 05-31-2008, 08:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi Barb,

Just wanted to say I'm proud of you. You just keep on moving forward.

Don
Old 06-01-2008, 06:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((Barb)))

I'm proud of you, too, and I'm glad you had a great time!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-01-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am really and truly inspired by your growth, Barb.