Notices

Gained weight during last binge?

Old 05-29-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gained weight during last binge?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could relate to my compalint here. I seemed to have gained about 15 lbs. this last binge. I drank wine or vodka, and didn't seem to eat alot. I am sober almost 30 days now, but looking back i realized taht I had never gained weight during a binge before. In fact, i almost always lost weight. Just wondering if this could be soem sort of shut-down of my liver or rejection by some organ.
New sobriety is so sweet, although I can't seem to hold any damn energy! I get sleepy and exahusted so easily! Can anyone relate to that??

Thanks!:wtf2:wtf2
Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Kcal- The first three or so weeks for me I was extremely tired. It seemed all I wanted to do was sleep. For me, I think a lot of it had to do with some depression I was experiencing. But I am on day 37 now and actually feeling pretty good for the most part.

It may not be a bad idea to go to your doctor though for a check up. This disease does horrible things to our bodies. And anything found is better found early.

As far as the weight gain... I have no idea. I know that eventually our bodies metabolism changes....

Congrats on your sobriety! Stick with it!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Welcome to the site Kcal. I'm no doctor, but here is what I do know. If you are taking in more calories than you are burning, then yes you will gain. That's just Thermodynamics 101. So if you were on a SERIOUS binge then you could have injested enough cals to pack it on. Do some quick math. 3500 unburned calories in one week will typically add one pound of weight. So when I was hitting it hard, I would drink 5,000 to 6,000 Calories per day. But I walked between 5 and 8 miles per day "in the zone".

As for the energy, try some slow burn protien input like a wheat (not white) bagel with peanut butter. Or try some of the energy bars that have a high protien content. But if your feeling rundown, you may need to have you PP run some blood to determine exact cause. Again, I'm no doctor, just have a former Triathelete Brother.

Glad you're here and congrats on your almost 30 days!!! We like to hear that around this joint...
Old 05-29-2008, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR.

You need to talk to your dr about your medical concerns.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome!

I think having an honest talk with your doctor is a wise move.
Then you will know if something is wrong

A simple blood test is the best indiciator.

Way to go on your new sober life...
Old 05-29-2008, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

ask your doctor to run a 'full panel' thyroid screen.

this is EXACTLY what happened to me, and it would be two years of suffering before it would be diagnosed, because the doctor didn't run a 'full panel' screen.

if you go to thyroid.org - there's a test on there (at least I think I remember weeing it there) you can take of a full list of 'symptoms' then take that to your doctor.

I have just learned the hard way - it's very very common for alcoholics in recovery to go undiagnosed because of fluctuations of the glands during detox. A 'full panel' test is better than a 'regular' blood screen because it measures not only the amount of TSH(thyroid stimulating hormone) but also the amount ot T3 & T4 in the blood.