Notices

Question about AA meetings

Old 05-23-2008, 05:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I live in Ohio and have been to lead meetings and discussion meetings and a few BB study meetings. The lead meetings are just like in a lecture hall only the environment is more like a large or small cafe, with tables and chairs and coffee and such. Announcements are made, the basket passed, and other business of that group or AA as a whole. Then the lead is introduced and tells their story. The discussion meetings I've been to in my small town are generally in church basements or other such places and the tables are arranged in a square so everyone can see everyone else. The chariperson has someone read the How It Works and the Steps are read by different individuals. It is also asked if anyone needs to be remembered in prayer. Other announcements are made as well. Oh yeah, it's also asked if anyone is new to the program or that particular meeting. Then we go around the room and introduce ourselves.

Then something else is read, I forget what, but it's from the BB. Then the chairperson either introduces the topic for discussion or asks if anyone has a topic. Then it goes around the room for everyone to have a chance to speak if they choose. Generally around one hour tho some meetings will go over that. Then shared clean up and generally some sit outside, smoking and talking. I like the discussion meetings the best cause I learn something from what everyone has to say. Some people validate ideas I already had, some bring up totally new concepts. It's very exciting to me.

I also like the lead meetings cause I like hearing the different stories of people's lives and their struggles and how they overcame their alcoholism. I've also noticed the people at the meetings are generally very outgoing and friendly, introducing themselves and shaking hands or hugging their friends.

After today's meeting some of us were talking outside. One person was talking about his religious beliefs. At first I felt I was being preached to, then i remembered that everyone is entitled to their opinions and beliefs and I am not obliged to agree or adjust my own beliefs. So it was a good "after meeting" meeting.

I always (so far!) come away from meetings feeling stronger and refreshed.

:bounce
Old 05-23-2008, 05:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Each AA group chooses on how their meeting format is done.
That includes all axpects of the meeting.

What literature is read...how the chairs are arranged
the brand coffee that is made ...Everything.

You gotta go to know exactly what each group does.

Think of this...
I went into different bars not worrying about
what to do ...how it was run... or how to act.

Just go and find out....
Old 05-23-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Seems as though meetings all across the map can vary slightly but the idea is the same.

Alcoholics helping other Alcoholics.

What a concept.

I agree, this is a great thread that answers some of the questions that many newcomers are afraid to ask.

I'd just like to remind all newcomers to never, ever be afraid to ask a question. The only dumb question is the one you never ask!

We have all been newcomers at one time or another.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 05-23-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Think of this...
I went into different bars not worrying about
what to do ...how it was run... or how to act.
I love it Carol, you're always right to the point!
Old 05-23-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

I just got back. Was terrified to go in. When I got there, there were 3 other cars and I was wondering what I'd gotten myself into. So I sat in the car and waited (I was early). More came. It was a small group, which was nice. One of the women was the speaker, and the woman who was sitting next to me asked if I was new to AA. Then sbe asked if it was my first meeting. I could barely answer her. She let the group know and everyone was very kind and welcoming. I now have a white chip, meeting list and the phone numbers of 12 people that I can call. I'm glad I went.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Great job Flgirl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Very Cool
Old 05-23-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Fantastic!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I'm soooo happy!

Like I told you, this is one of those times when I don't think you'll mind if I say,

I told ya so!!!

Just as meetings can vary in different areas, there are different sayings about your chip/token.

My Sponsor told me when I am wanting to drink, to put it in my mouth and if I can bite through it, I can drink.

Keep Coming Back! or in this case, Keep Going Back!

God Bless,
Judy
Old 05-23-2008, 06:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I was told when it was given to me, that when I wanted a drink, to put it in my mouth and when it melted I could have the drink...LOL
Old 05-23-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Never heard that one before - that's a good one!

Glad you had a good time, even tho scared. I enjoy the meetings and always take more away with me than I brought in.

:ghug3
Old 05-23-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)