Notices

Another baby step

Old 05-23-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another baby step

Hi guys,

I took another baby step. I found a meeting for today. Would you believe that it is literally about a mile away from my house??! I ran out to get gas for the car (UGHHHHHHHHHHH) and decided to check out the location. The meeting is at 7pm, but I figure I can just hang out here all day, til it's time to go if I have to. Maybe somebody upstairs knows about the panic and driving thing...LOL..but you know what, I drove, even fast, and it was ok My emotions are starting to bounce up and down right now, but I'm gonna stay glued here...it's helping a lot, and I want this more than I have ever wanted anything in my life.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is there anyone you know that goes to meetings already? Is it NA or AA? Either way, if you have trouble driving, once you get to a meeting, talk to some people and tell them about the problem. If you are only one mile from the meeting, people will pick you up and take you to it. Is a bike or a walk an option where you live? A mile is close enough to walk unless it's a bad neighborhood.
kj
Old 05-23-2008, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi kj,

I don't know anyone who attends meetings. It's ok for now as the driving thing has been good for the past 2 days. I'm actually kind of excited to go, and very apprehensive at the same time. I still haven't had a drink today.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Flgirl,

Way to go! I'm glad you found a mtg nearby and I hope it offers you a supportive and loving embrace to help and guide you during this early time of your recovery. Let us know what you think.

- MLE
Old 05-23-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

flgirl this:

I want this more than I have ever wanted anything in my life.
says a lot, if you are willing to do what ever it takes to stay sober you are going to eventually know a new life and a new freedom that you never dreamed possible!!!! It will not come easily, it will take work and it will take time!

As kj suggested let others now that right now you are having problems with driving, beleive it or not, you are helping some one else stay sober by them giving you a ride!
Old 05-23-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks mle! Tazman53, I never thought about by doing that I could be helping someone else. Great idea. I thought tonight I'd drive myself, as I am so close to home and just listen to what they have to say. I do not want to drink...I do want to learn, and no, I don't expect it to be easy. I figure that I had to work really hard for a long time to get the way I was, so I would certainly think that it would take as much or more hard work to change.

Last edited by flgirl; 05-23-2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: more to say
Old 05-23-2008, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job and keep moving forward it gets better!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Tennis71,

My mood has taken a nosedive, but I suppose that is to be expected. I've made sure that I've had a good lunch, have a diet ice tea with me and continue to stick like glue to the posts. The good news is that I haven't had a drink.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My moods go up and down like the world's worst rollercoaster but they do pass, both the good and bad, and I too have not had a drink. I went to a noon meeting and it helped a lot.

You are in my thoughts.:ghug2
Old 05-23-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Least,

The world's worst rollercoast ride is exactly the right simile! I'm feeling better, now. I've been cleaning and organizing, which ALWAYS makes me feel better. So I suppose by the end of the weekend, I shall have the cleanest, most well-organized house in town! Congrats on not having a drink! :ghug3 I'm proud of you!!