Notices

Rehab/Employer/Insurance..

Old 05-18-2008, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab/Employer/Insurance..

How do these three things fit together and still be employed? Any experience with this?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been in rehab as well as hospitalized for 13 days for depression, anxiety and thoughts of suicide.
I live in Littleton Colorado and work for the county. I have never heard a word about my hospitalizations.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I went to detox and then rehab all through my employer's insurance. You may have to use the FMLA (family medical leave act), in which case, they cannot fire you. If they have short-term disability, you can use that too. Unfortunately, my employer didn't, so I wasn't paid during my time off.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Depends upon the job but even jobs such a a nurse or a Dr where they are handing out drugs...there are employment rules that need be followed.

How it should go is no different then if a person had a broken leg. A right to work state vs a liberal state ...well it should still follow the same rules as it would for a broken leg.

A call to the state may get you some feedback.
The EEOC may also give you some feedback.
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
Old 05-18-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I called the HR office and said I'm going to treatment. The dr. wrote a note. I was gone a month (FMLA). My health insurance paid for 80% of the costs. I still had a job when I got out and it was my desision weather or not to tell my boss why I was gone.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i'd call hr and your insurance company. i've met several folks in treatment who are able to go back to jobs after treatment. recovery first. hugs, k
Old 05-19-2008, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been in treatment (and gainfully employed) 3 times over the last 8 years, I spent a total of 9 months out - still covered insurance wise and still getting at least part of my income. California has state disability insurance, plus my employers have had short term disability insurance. All three times I filed for FMLA protection.

Insurance paid for the first two 'rehab' stints (45 days and 35 days - including detox), then they (three different insurace companies - we switch every year for some reason) stopped paying for inpatient treatment and only provide detox services and outpatient coverage (the last 60 day rehab I went to a few years back I had to pay cash)...I think the insurance companies are catching on that rehab isn't cranking out sober people..

The last time was a medical detox and straight to AA - haven't had a drink since.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well every company, insurance company, and state is different, my insurance company paid 100% for my detox, they would have paid all but my copay for IIOP but the guy who interviewed me for the IIOP said it was up to me whether I went to IIOP because he said AA sure seemed to be doing the job for me alone.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Should I first discuss this with my doctor?

I'm afraid of losing my job.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

It is a whole lot better to lose your job because you went into rehab then get fired for being drunk!!!

I am not sure who you work for or what the laws are like in your state, but most states an employer can not fire you if you check your self into rehab, they can fire you for being drunk though. Check out your local laws.