Notices

Day 4

Old 05-12-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4

Think I’m starting to feel better, not great. Slept better with some prescription aids. Actually did 30 aggressive minutes this morning on an elevated treadmill. I hate exercise. It’s like banging your head against the wall. It feels good when you stop. I have really gone down hill in the last 4 years. I exercised regularly since my twenties. Ran two miles a day, played full-court basketball until about when my bad 4- year period began. The running was for weight control. Hoops I enjoyed. At six feet, I was a nice svelte 170 pounds. Over the last four years, I stopped and got to well over 200. I’d like to get down to 185. Exercise is important along with watching calories. But the calories in the booze….extremely high.

Challenges ahead: except for today, my afternoons will be free this week.. Options? Go out. Exercise and swim laps at the pool. Increase reading (later in the summer I will be preparing my courses which means writing lectures and doing research).

Another big challenge: I have a luxury timeshare in Key West third week in June. Taking my gf. We went last year. She drinks very little. I put on a show. One night after consuming a 5th of Dewars, I went out on the balcony and proceeded to entertain/deride the guests with excerpts from To Be or Not to Be(it’s a contemplation of suicide you *****s!), along with other non-sequiturs such as singing “Waltzing Matilda” and “Nothing Could be Finer than to be in Carolina…” as well as a derogatory rant on the current administration, especially Dick Cheney, most of which I did not remember. I blacked out and my gf got me to bed. I woke up to go to the bathroom, tripped on the base of a wrought iron table, gashing my forehead. Fortunately she was quite adept at first-aid and you can hardly notice the scars. How’s that for a dignified vacation? That wasn’t the end of it. The night before we left, there was a considerable number of rum and cokes. Pretty hungover the next morning, I schlepped luggage to the car in the oppressive tropical heat. As we drove off, I felt my heart going up and down a ski slope so badly that my gf had to take the wheel for the five hour drive back to Palm Beach county. It calmed down when I took a second pill hours later for the condition. I’m amazed she hasn’t give me the boot.

Please do not misinterpret this account as the happy-go-lucky adventures of some hard-drinking wit. Nitwit is more like it.
So this time around, none of this can be repeated. Non-alcoholic beer? Yuk. Here’s a good opportunity to look for an excuse. It’s vacation. It’s Key West where people are knocking down beer, shots, whatever at 9 in the a.m. Nope, I cannot allow it.

The way I see it if one cannot control their drinking, then it’s an all or nothing proposition. There’s no vacation from sobriety. This will be my twelfth visit to the Conch Republic and the first dry one. There is no alternative.
Joe D
Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Red face