Notices

Old 05-10-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
We Cannot Learn Without Pain

My name is Amanda, I am 20 years old and have been drinking since September and cannot stop. I want to attempt to quit drinking. Currently I drink around a pint of vodka a night. I have never drank during the day. But I *need* my liqour at night....
Old 05-10-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I used to live in Baltimore Manda. What a small world. How did your drinking escalte to a pint of vodka a night. I know alcholism does not dscriminate against age, but gee whiz. I hope you get better soon. You have so much more to live for.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hello amanda - it's nice to meet you. i have a daughter (24) who is an alcoholic/addict. she's had many setbacks in her young adulthood - almost all caused by alcohol and/or cocaine. i always take a lot of hope when young folks come here and post.

there's other people your age here, and i'm sure some of them will find you. it's quieter here on weekends, so keep reaching out and others will be along shortly to welcome you.

have you thought about aa or any other treatment/support groups?

recovery is possible.

hugs and support, k
Old 05-10-2008, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Manda,

You'll find lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey amanda, just saw your post about your mother. i'm sorry. prayers to you and her at this tough time. please know that drinking will not help your pain. k
Old 05-10-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi Amanda i am also a 20 yr old female, i have been sober 3.5 months now- all thanks to A.A. The only requierment for membership is a desire to stop drinking, maybe you could check it out? Also reading/posting here will be sure to make things clearer and help u out, keep us posted on how u doing
Old 05-10-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

p.s if you are gonna stop drinking maybe a detox will be necessary?- You may not need to do so, but checking this out with your doc would be safest bet.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hi Amanda,

Good for you for seeking help! That is a courageous move. I agree with Unigirl that AA is a really good place to go. You can look up meetings in your area online just by googling AA Baltimore, I think. Anyway, that's how I found my first meeting. If the first one doesn't feel right, go to another and another. Sometimes it takes a bit to find the right fit. I went to 6-7 before I found the 2 I attend regularly now. (And I enjoy and rely on them and wouldn't miss them for the world now.)

I'm glad you're here at SR. It's a good place to be. Keep us posted.

- MLE
Old 05-10-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, Manda - I'm just about 2 hrs. away from you. So wise of you to be working on your problem now. Oh, if I could only go back and be 20 again, knowing what I know now. My husband and I were married at 21 and never wanted the party to end. He is now dead, and my life ended up in ruins, all because of alcohol. It started out innocently enough, was fun and exciting - but ended up being a necessity and we didn't have the sense to recognize the problem for what it was. It has taken me decades to admit that we were both alcoholics. I have a trail of misery behind me, broken dreams, lost relationships, financial ruin, health problems. This never has to happen to you!!! You will love SR - as k said, many of the regulars are not around as much on the weekend, but please stay and keep posting. Love, Joanie
Old 05-10-2008, 07:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 05-11-2008, 12:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey Amanda. Telling yourself, and others, that you want to quit, is a powerful tool. So don't stop the positive affirmations. Just dig your heels in and hang tuff. Daddio