Notices

Any interesting addiciton and recovery books?

Old 05-05-2008, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Any interesting addiciton and recovery books?

I cant tell you the last time I cracked a book. Let alone read from cover to cover. I can count on one hand how many.
Up until a month ago. I came across Heroin Diaries By Nikki Sixx.
Surprisingly the local library had it. I couldnt put it down.
It was fasinating yet disturbing. So familiar and starnge all at the same time.
It really made me wonder how not only Nikki survived addiction. But it also made me look at myself long and hard as well. How did I survive too?
How could any of of us?
I really dont like reading alot. But every now and then I find a book that grabs me till the end. And that book did.
I find it hard to stay interested in alot of books. Because I find they drag out and get boring and lose my attention.
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books along the lines like Heroin Diaries or the like that isnt just a bunch of statistics. Something raw and real that will have me wanting to read more.
I know there probably is a thread or two already on this book topic. But I wanted to start another.
If you know of any. Please let me know.
Thanks.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hi Chiynita,

Living Sober is not fiction but it is a small, compact, very practical and well written book about, well, living sober. Of course. I was given a copy and couldn't put it down because it was like a how-to that applied to me. Very practical.

Anne Lamont's books are spiritual and non-fiction. She's a recovering alcoholic and writes wonderfully. Some of her earlier books are better, I think, than her latest. She is a Christian but in a very open and loving, not judgemental way. You might like her.

A novel that I thought was pretty hard core and had a lot of addicition stuff buried in it (but is chiefly a coming of age story similar to Catcher in the Rye) is called Rule of the Bone. By Russell Banks. I read it years ago and it enthralled me.

Those are my best picks off the top of my head.

- MLE
Old 05-06-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just finished reading "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp. I had already decided that alcohol to me felt like some long-time, sick love affair and I related to her story. I have a restraining order out on this particular lover now!

I have just now started to read again, which I always enjoyed so I'm looking forward to other suggestion!

I am also reading the Big Book and Under the Influence. I figure, knowledge is power and recovery is very new to me, so this, along with some Stephen King, are good starts.

Karen
Old 05-06-2008, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Dry by Augustine Burrows.
It is a true account of his alcoholism. He uses a lot of humor. I really enjoyed the book

He also wrote Running with Scissors
An account of his childhood. Definately entertaining and enlightning. Any time I think my childhood was rough I think about his and feel like I was raised well....

A New Pair of Glasses By Chuck C.
More of an AA related book but well worth the read.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Dharma Punx by Noah Levine
One Breath at a Time: Buddhism and the Twelve Steps by Kevin Griffin
Grace is Enough by Willie Aames
Old 05-06-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I loved "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp.

It is so deeply honest and raw, an amazing memoir of a young, high-functioning alcoholic woman. It touched me so deeply. It gave me the glimmer of hope, that if she could do it, I could do it.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Since you read Nikki's book and liked it you may enjoy Brian "Head" Welch (from Korn) Save Me From Myself I thought it was pretty cool.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Anthony Kedis (REd Hot Chili Peppers) wrote Scar Tissue. I really liked it..he's a program guy!

Carolyn Knapp's book...I've read it over and over..especially during the years I knew I had a problem but wasn't ready to deal with it. So close to home..
Old 05-07-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I like this topic, I have an aa meeting discussion topic on the 20th of May and I am choosing "Tools I use to enhance my own recovery." I wanna do like some books I have personally read, and like SR of course, and a couple of other things. I think mine come more across to the recovery side, but I am gunna check out some of the aforementioned books as well.

Here are some of the books I have used or use now in my recovery, I have already read Under The Influence like many of the others:
Pass It On - Its like the AA approved biography of Bill W and the story of how AA was founded. Kind of a dry read, but if you are interested in a comprehensive well researched history of AA; this is it.

24 hours a day - a book of daily reflections (reminds me of my sobriety and its importance to me)

The language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie is like the 24 hours a day book but I think simply lets me power through some difficult times or reflect on past circumstances in a positive light

Experience, Strength, and Hope - Stories that were not in the 4th edition big book, from the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd editions of the big book.

The Recovery Book by Arlene Eisenberg - Really cool book that you don't even have to read cover to cover that has all kinds of recovery related info. Diets, Exercise, situations leading to relapse, early recovery, late recovery, finances....A must for anyone looking to add more tools to their box
Old 05-07-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

i heard he has some interesting takes on the whole sobriety thing
Old 05-07-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I recently read "Under the Influence" and thought it was a very interesting book. And probably the only book on recovery I have seen that talks about how to approach diet after stopping drinking. Its dated I guess, and there is an updated version that I have not read, "Beyond the Influence" I think.

I read the Carr, Easy Way book in the past, and did not find it the revelation some people have.

The book I would like to read is Rational Recovery, although I have been attending AA meetings again and probably don't want to read Tripley's thoughts on that right now.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Staying Clean a book from Hazelden
Old 05-07-2008, 02:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I can't believe I forgot to name A Place Called Self - A Woman's Guide to Sobriety and Radical Transformation. It has an accompanying workbook that is helpful too. It's not a deeply intellectual book but, rather, a practical aid to finding your way.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Sober for Good , New Solutions for Drinking Problems-Advice from Those Who Have Succeeded (Anne M. Fletcher)

First Year Sobriety (When All That Changes Is Everything) Guy Kettelhack

Both great reads!
Old 05-07-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, one that is good is Melody Beatties' Playing it by Heart. It's her account of her life before she was involved so much in codependency. She was horribly addicted to opiates and also abused every other substance known to man. She recovered in NA/AA. Also a fictional account of recovery that is kind of lighter but still good and gives a positive message about NA and of in-patient treatment is Rachels' Holiday. I loved that and it's really funny. Will get your mind off your troubles while still learning about addiction. And Kitchen Confidential, by Anthony Bourdain, gives a really honest picture of what heroin and cocaine addiction can do to talent. I don't know if he was ever able to kick drugs completely, does anyone know?
kj
Old 05-07-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Alan Carr's "How to quit drinking" sadly didn't work for me. However his book " The Easy Way To Stop Smoking" DID! and I haven't smoked in over 10yrs!
Now looking for a book relating to alcohol that has the same impact :praying
Old 05-07-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

A Million Little Pieces
Old 05-08-2008, 03:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by reed View Post
A Million Little Pieces

I just picked up a copy...second hand....50 cents. I believe there was some controversy about that book. The author may have embellished or flat out lied but I am going to read it! I'm glad to hear it's good!
Old 05-08-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I have also heard it is good, weird that it sits in my large pile of non-fiction books I have not read yet, but were "great books" heh who pays retail for books nowadays anyway
Old 05-08-2008, 07:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I try not to pay anything.
I usually go to the library.
I remember when I was a kid the library only had old movies and books.
This library by me has alot of very new books and movies.
I was surprised they had heroin diaries.

Million little pieces had alot of controversy because the author claimed it was a book of true to his life in addiciton.
But he was busted and found that alot of wat he wrote about was fabricated.
But I would still read it.