Notices

Infomercial, theaddictioncure.com

Old 05-05-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DES

Infomercial, theaddictioncure.com

Hey all,

I saw an infomercial yesterday for a book named "The Alcoholism and Addiction Cure" by Chris Prentiss. He also runs a rehab center in California but I'm not interested in that. I was wondering if anyone has heard of him or read his book?

He says addiction CAN be cured and kind of bad mouthed AA's premise that we are powerless against addiction.

BTW, I fell off the wagon again, ugh. I'm 1/2 way through day four again. This is a real struggle.

Thanks,
Doug

PS. What about Lucinda Bassets program?
Old 05-05-2008, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey des, i don't know anything about either program. just wanted to say welcome back.

hugs, k
Old 05-05-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome back Des! to you
Old 05-05-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome back!

My personal opinion is that if a program actually works then they have no reason to stand on the back of another by bashing it to advertise their program. It is no different than someone going to their boss to run down a co-worker because they want the promotion.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DES

Thanks for the greetings guys. I do appreciate it.
Maybe someone else will see this who's familiar
with this book will see this and respond.

Thanks again,
Doug
Old 05-05-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back Doug...

Here is a list of established recovery programs

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

Please explore and find one that works for you.

I strongly suggest you go read the book at the library
rather than spend the money before you actually see it.
If there was a cure...I imagine it would be world news
and celebrated extensively.
Why has this not happened? Hmmm
Old 05-05-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I have never heard of it, but I would be cautious of a quick fix. we addicts/alcoholics need to keep in mind that the substances are just the symptom of other problems.

welcome back! keep logging on!

Blessings, Sheila
Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cool

Although I have not read this man's book, I have done a wee bit of research on it, and on his beliefs.....

A lot of confusion/controversy can come from semantics, so.....

First off, I guess I would like to address the word 'cured.' Oftentimes the words 'cured' and 'recovered' can be used synonimously; I guess it just depends on one's definition of the word 'cured,' a word which most 'recovered' alcoholics choose to avoid.....BUT....I can see where it could be used.....A cancer patient is called 'cured' (a 5 year cure, etc.), but that doesn't mean that the cancer won't/can't return.....and this could be said of many diseases (measles, mumps, pneumonia). So, for my alcoholism: I am recovered; and yes, I guess I could say I am cured (but it could always flare up and return if I'm not vigilant).

In adressing this man's understanding of the phrase/concept 'powerless over/against our addictions'.....Well, when I was sick in my addiction, I WAS powerless.....even against that first drink, pill, snort, shot, whatever (oh, I said 'no' at times, but those were the rare times, for sure). But today, I have no trouble saying 'no' to that first.....and as long as I don't put any of that ole stuff in my body, I am NOT powerless over my addiction.

Mr. Prentiss seemed to have a negative view of an AA meeting he attended where the folks were sitting around 'white-knuckling' it.....well, I'm sorry for Mr. Prentiss; I've never been to an AA meeting with those kinds of folks; the AAer's I know have a program, and do NOT 'white-knuckle' and if that is what I saw in AA, I wouldn't like it either..... (o:

I didn't get to read a lot of the book, but I did see some glimpses; he seems to be into holistics, and this can be a very good thing. But, he also seems to think that if you get to the root cause of a person's taking a drink/drug, and work on that (cure it, perhaps?), then a person can be cured....and I believe he sees four reasons for using.....I couldn't seem to get to those pages tho.....grrrrr BUT, for me, I don't think this would work.....I didn't drink/use out of fear, or to escape....or whatever other psychobabble reasons folks come up with; I drank/used because I liked how it made me feel (now please don't read into this that I didn't like how I felt w/o alcohol/drugs; I just liked a change.....kinda like choosing chocolate over vanilla, doesn't mean I don't like vanilla, just a preference for chocolate at the time).....

Ah well, enough of my rambling.....I'm sorry he got such a negative picture of AA, and I would hope that he might continue his research into it.....some of his info was interesting, and certainly worth a look.....my feeling is.....whatever gets you (through the night?...lol) to recovery, who cares, as long as that's the destination..... (o:

NoelleR
Old 05-05-2008, 10:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome Back Doug!

I saw that infomercial too and I was fuming. This guy infuriated me!

CURED?

Do a little more research dude and quit trying to make a buck at others expense.

Didn't mean to take away from your return, but man, he made me mad!

God Bless,
Judy