Notices
View Poll Results: When you found sobriety & how?
Did you get sober before you came to SR?
37.14%
Did you get sober after you came to SR?
31.43%
Did you get sober without a program and then come to SR?
11.43%
Did you get sober with a program and then come to SR?
40.00%
Did you get and stay sober just using SR?
11.43%
Do you use a program to stay sober?
40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Sobriety Poll???

Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Cool

When you found sobriety & how?
1. Did you get sober before you came to SR? Yes
2. Did you get sober after you came to SR? No
3. Did you get sober without a program and then come to SR? No
4. Did you get sober with a program and then come to SR? Yes
5. Did you get and stay sober just using SR? No
6. Do you use a program to stay sober? No

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All of those questions and answers are pretty self explanatory, except perhaps number six.....do I 'use' a program to stay sober....? The AA Program is ingrained in me, but do I actively 'use' it...do I sit down at times in my life and say...."ok, what step needs to be worked now?...then the answer is definitely no, but if by 'use' one means are the steps a part of my life, then the answer would be yes.....hmmmmm

NoelleR
Old 04-24-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I got sober after SR. SR actually helped me find my way back to AA. The last time i was in AA was in 1992 and I had almost 2 years. Then i went back out and almost didn't come back. Thank god for AA and SR.

Barb
Old 04-24-2008, 03:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I stopped drinking Feb 2, 2008 and found SR Feb 15, 2008. I think I started an intensive outpatient program and found my AA home group during that same 2 weeks. So it was an intense time.

I am done with the IOP now but plan to continue going to 2-3 AA meetings a week and definately coming here daily. I think AA is essential but coming here is a huge part of what keeps me focused on the fact that I am an alcoholic, that my alcoholism will try to get me to think otherwise and that I need to continually stay vigilant. Coming here daily keeps it real and also gives me comfort regarding the realities of living with alcoholism.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I found SR right away after I quit drinking. I do not use a program, but I do use prayer.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Unhappy

Originally Posted by RK2007 View Post
I got sober after coming to SR, posted on here drunk quite a few times at the beginning.

Don't use a program
- but I do find SR a great help when I'm struggling.
By the way, I just read what I posted again - I sure hope people don't think I meant 'don't use a program' as in me saying you shouldn't use one!!!

Just meant I don't/didn't use one to come off drink, but I think they're great for people who use them and get benefits and support from it, and it really seems to work for some people.

Sorry if there was some confusion about what I posted.

Permission to me.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I got sober with an alcohol counselor, AA & a Sponsor. This was in 1988. I still use the AA program in my daily life and came to SR when I accidently found it on the Internet. I live in a very rural community and found that I really felt better when I joined in on the SR Forums.

I like to share my experience, strength, & hope with others to let them know there is a future for them in a sober life.

kelsh :praying The Serenity Prayer saved me many times a day.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I love these polls! Helps me get to know others even a little bit more.

I had been in an out of the rooms of AA/NA for many, many years. I'd had short times of being Clean, but I can't say I was Sober. For me, Sobriety is when the person's whole attitude and outlook on life has changed. Behaviors, thoughts, actions as well as not using.

When I first got clean, I put myself in an intensive outpatient program and went back to AA/NA at the same time.

I think if I had a computer early in my Recovery, I would have found SR and joined then.

I was Clean & Sober for close to 2 1/2 years when I found SR.

SR is a wonderful ingredient that I have added to the recipe that makes up my Recovery.

Thanks for asking, and thanks for sharing!

God Bless,
Judy
Old 04-25-2008, 12:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I woke up the morning of Jan 15 2008 with another bout of night sweats. My history was long and clear, and there was no denying my condition, although I managed.

I was searching for causes of my night sweats, though I already knew inside what the answer was going to be. During my search for 'any other explanation' I found this place, and read the excerpts from 'Under the Influence'. It was like someone flipped a switch in my brain as I read those excerpts. I went to a meeting later that day, and haven't drank since.

I voted "got sober after SR", though technically I had my last drink before I found this place. Had I not found this place though, and read those excerpts, I'm not sure I would have given sobriety a shot.

I am SO glad I did.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Taz'y...

hit the abyss, surrenderd it all, put the steps of A.A. in my life..

worked my (_rz_) on them, and stil do...

and now have a life...

some of you know, i came here for another reason...

and stayed!

i wouldnt leave home without SR! lol

xxoo & blesings

rz
Old 04-25-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

My last hangover, I felt soooo terrible that I prayed to God to help me like I never did before. The hangover lasted 2 days, on day 3 I finally felt what I thought was back to normal for me and was on the computer and for some unknown reason googled for an alcoholism forum/message board. This one came up first and I read all over the forum. Joined that day and stayed on here day in and day out (except for sleep time). Just the last few days I'm venturing out into the world again with a brand new hope for my future. Starting AA meetings. SR has saved my life.

I'm so grateful. I'm convinced God led me here. He answered my prayers Sunday, April 13, 2008.

Praise be to God.

Thank you all!

Many Blessings.
Kathy
Old 04-25-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Great replies to this thread, I need to work a little bit more on these things, it is hard to come up with clear facts from this with what I asked here are a few though:

1. A lot of folks find sobriety after coming to SR, which proves that all of us are helping others as well as each other.

2. The majority of folks have found sobriety using a program.

3. It is possible in some cases to achieve sobriety without a program.

All of the findings are GOOD!!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Strength in numbers Taz? Evidence that it's a "we" program and that we don't get and stay sober alone?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I got and stayed sober with WFS, Women for Sobriety, it was founded by Dr Jean Kirkpatrick over 35 years ago.

I happened to find this web site one day, and find it uplifting to see all those who have given themselves the gift of sobriety...through what ever way works for them.

Seren
Old 04-26-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My life turned around for the better working the SMART Recovery Program. I also have good results working my recovery online as well as in f2f groups/meetings. SR is a great tool in my recovery tool box.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:55 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I got sober after being in a program and after SR. However, I relapsed. I stayed sober after I was willing to go to any lengths and put forth every effort I had to gain my life back.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I ticked the box for I got sober after I came to SR - then tried to tick the box to say I'm on a program - so I've also got more than one answer.