Notices

Day 2

Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Hi All,

I have finally, finally, FINALLY decided to end this vicious cycle of drinking. I have been drinking steadily and heavily for the past 3 1/2 years. I have been drinking most of my life and it has taken its toll on my relationships, my physical and my emotional well being. I know I am completely responsible for my behavior and am ready to face the consequences and ready to take any and all necessary steps to set things straight.

I am reaching out to those of you who have maintained sobriety for a while and am asking what I should expect. I believe that each experience is probably unique in many ways, but surely there must be a common pattern to sobriety? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time. Stay well. And stay strong. (I think this takes an enormous amount of strength......) K.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like we are in the same boat, you're just a day ahead of me.

Hang in there, and stay strong. I will be thinking of you when I am in my tight spots and hoping we both make the right decisions.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. You hang in there too. Right now I feel pretty good about it, but I know around, say, Thursday, Friday - I will have a whole new feeling about it. Probably pretty bad. I just know that it is time. Sounds like its time for you, too. I wish you the best.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
GURUJAKE

Congratulations on taking your first step KaliGirl! Let's see...what to expect... For me, it was days of discomfort in early sobriety. I dealt with the physical withdrawal (shakes, sweating, involuntary spasms) and the emotional aspect of living without the effects of alcohol (moodiness, anxiety, fear, cravings). Please know that this should be short-lived and it all improves with time. Please go to meetings and get a sponsor -- this is critical in the early stages -- daily personal contact with other alcoholics helped me get through all of it. I had to learn how to live life sober and that was a challenge that took some time. I'm now coming up on 3 years sober after 20 years of drinking and life has never been better. Take one day at a time for now and listen to those that have been there.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR KaliGirl, get medical advice as well. The first few weeks I felt pretty rough in the mornings but it wore off. Some people struggle and find it much harder though, best wishes in your battle.