Notices

hypocrite @ SR

Old 03-22-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Hey Conez,

I wish I would have found SR when I was still drinking but trying to quit. I'm sure all of the support here would have gotten me to quit sooner than I did. Which would have helped me avoid many legal problems that I'm dealing with right now.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Conez, in AA one of the requirements to join is the DESIRE TO STOP DRINKING. You obviously have that desire or you wouldn't be here. I myself a couple of years ago went to an AA meeting drunk off my head, I wasn't embarrassed I needed to be there. I don't remember being judged by anyone, in fact, people were very kind and welcoming. I relapsed many times since then, but I am back again. Never give up.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I am so glad you are here. I hope this site helps you find the strength to do what you need to do and that it helps you determine what that might be. SR is my lifeline. It is the lifeline for many people with different needs and who have different reasons to be here. Despite all of our differences, one thing remains we're here to support and give (and get) love. Take advantage of that! I know I do.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I forget how hard it seemed at first not drinking.

Many of us can tell you how we got sober but, you still have to put what we say into action.

Getting clean and sober is very difficult for a lot of people.

I can promise you this, I no longer let alcohol control my life. I'm not on here typing and drinking an crying.

People are human, they all have faults sober or not.

I will tell you this, if you have a drinking problem, you'll be hard pressed to have sanity or any serenity in your life.

This site is used as a tool in helping people make a decision to change their life. I used the AA program to get sober. There are other programs as well.

Your chances of getting sober on your pc are remote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'd say that if you have any desire to stop drinking, you are in the right place and it sounds like you do, so your in the right place. Many an alcoholic has picked up a beer with the desire to stop, they just do not know how.

A good start is to ask yourself the question - what am I willing to do to not have a drink today? Coming up with the answer may be easy for you or it may be tough. One answer could be dumping all the booze in the house down the drain.

The important thing is to keep it simple, don't worry about drinking tomorrow, just focus on today.

Keep posting, I have seen a lot of people who are providing great suggestions. This is a caring and safe community.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Conez, just to repeat others you are not a hypocrite and are just at the start.
Believe in yourself, he is jealous of you.
Welcome to you, it's a great place to be- best wishes.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Jumping a little late here, but I must tell Conez.

I have a dear dear friend, who for a year, yes a year straight came to AA meetings drunk every night. That was almost 26 years ago now. The day after my first AA birthday, she came to a meeting not having had a drink.

So we celebrate our recovery 1 day apart and on June 8th she will have 26 years sober.

So you see, it doesn't matter that you come to SR and still have a drink in hand. You are reading, you are learning, and you do realize that you have a problem,. That is the first step toward recovery.

Keep reading, keep posting, the willingness to put down the booze will come.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 03-22-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post

I will tell you this, if you have a drinking problem, you'll be hard pressed to have sanity or any serenity in your life.

This site is used as a tool in helping people make a decision to change their life. I used the AA program to get sober. There are other programs as well.

Your chances of getting sober on your pc are remote
thanks for the wise words....to everyone thank u, most of u echo the same words, there is a lot being put forward for me to learn and understand.
u guessed it... serenity is lost here within me. i believe alcohol contributes... after what seems like 4days sittin here contemplating and learnin, i feel am starting to make small baby steps toward recovery (and gain back a level of self worth)
a sense of direction is gained thru peoples input here at SR... giving me to the desire to attend an AA meeting. with lack of practical support, the next best meeting for me to attend is Tues lunch time while my child is at school.

to save my sanity i stay here on my pc sifting thru forums and AA info... hoping that these are some of the tools to help me take my next steps to gettin sober.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You're not a hypocrite.We've all been where you are.

When I first came here I was still drinking.I knew I had a problem but I wasn't ready to make the leap.Being at SR-reading mostly, and posting occassionally, really helped me make the decision to stop. SR is still an important part of my recovery.I don't post as much as I used to but I read every day because it helps me know I'm not alone.

You can make the next step too-but in the meantime-hang around.You are always welcome here and the best part I've found?We don't shoot our wounded.Theres tons of support here.

Jules
Old 03-22-2008, 08:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Conez View Post
i sit here at SR... believing i'm reachin out but still with a beer in hand...

confused... lil help to understand?
You could be sitting at a bar with a beer in hand,

You could be out with 'drinking buddies' with beer in hand,

You could be sitting in front of the TV wallowing in your own misery
with a beer in hand,

Your at a recovery site with a beer in hand, Your half way there.

:ghug3

What other people think of me is none of my business.

What matters is that YOU are here and YOU are trying.
When your ready try a bit harder. Put the beer down,
Pour it down the sink, and come here.
But keep coming back, no matter what the case.
Coming here will help you get to that point of being ready
to take it to the next step.

~JMO~

Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

update-

I got myself to lunchtime AA meeting, i mentioned earlier i wanted to attend.
I rung the number on the list my counsellor gave me to doublecheck i'd show at the right place... lucky i did, coz the meeting had moved to another community centre. At this time the person on the ph mentioned it was a big book meeting and even tho it was my first meeting that i should go.
The different location was further away n with less than 20mins to get there...
a lil hesitant....
Anyways i went without thinking.. well tryin not to... blasted a set of tunez on the stereo as drove hoping i wouldn't be last in the door. the journey to the door in itself took so much energy.
i had never set foot in the community centre before so i quietly asked reception the room for the lunchtime AA meeting. as i went to were i needed to go a group of students exited a nearby meeting. i got so paranoid instantly surrounded by what seemed like about 100 people... i walked through the crowd thinkin in a split second that nobody knew why i was here, i could walk straight on past with the crowd, instead of thru the door.
i caught sight of the 12 step poster, walked in sat down.. all on auto pilot since i'd left home. the chairperson asked my name and a chorus of welcomes followed... it was very confronting with only a dozen people seated around a large table.
the meeting started with the chair askin who was visting and newcomer... i froze n prob shoulda spoke up but i just sat there tryin to hold my sh*t together.
onto to the book pg number i'm sitting there trying to follow on but the freakn tears had to break the barrier i looked down sheilded my eyes continued to read n try to listen.
i felt so out of place trying to jump into it like this, autopilot wasn't workin....
i got up n walked out after about 5mins locking myself in nearby toilets to wipe my eyes. i went n sat in the hall fightin tears for half the meeting trying to bring myself back in the room without anyone staring at me.... i couldn't do it... maybe with my eyes shut? i'd probably trip n then everyone would be looking lol.
figuring i came all this way i was no good sittin outside. it took a passin member to talk for a minute n invite me back in... i took it, went and finished the meeting.
the member who invited me back in, stopped to chat after and gave me contact details. i was given the new updated meeting list and urged to go to the next best meetings.
The next meeting is tomorrow 8pm... its ID... i'm gona go... without thinkin.
hopefully this time i can slink in the back n not feel so confronted... anyways... this was a lil journey update i thought i'd like to share.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:32 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I remember when I first started out here.I would try so hard to make it past my third day of not doing pills, and I always caved.These people never turned on me.It gave me the courage to do whatever I had to do to get it right.Now, I am over six months sober, and I have this site and it's members to thank for helping me along the path.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Conez you did it!!!!!! You took that leap of faith!!!!

Trust me it gets better, my first AA meeting I went to I was drunk on my arse, I had been drinking all day, my wife got home and was more then a little POed at me so I told her "I am going to an AA meeting to take care of this!" Well I swung by 7-11 and grabbed a 6 for the ride, killed 3 on the way to the meeting and 3 on the way home. The only thing I remember about that meeting was the people were really friendly and did not care if I was drunk or not, just that I was there.

Well 5 years later I went to my next AA meeting, the first night I was in detox!!! They were still friendly and glad I was there! Try going to the next meeting about 10-15 minutes early if you can, some of the best stuff in AA happens either before or after the meeting.

I can tell you right now that for me the first month was really confusing, I really did not understand a lot of what was being said, I just knew that these folks had been just like me at one time, they were happy and they were glad I was there. No matter how bad I felt before a meeting, for some reason I always felt better after the meeting.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

WELCOMES CONE'S Smetimes well' take a few steps backward. that"s okay too. Sometimes it"s part of going forward.just 4'r today:praying