Notices

not feeling like myself - whatever that is

Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

not feeling like myself - whatever that is

It's now been six days since my last drink. I feel better physically but mentally I feel really strange. I feel as tho my life consists of watching myself go thru the motions of being alive,but not really feeling that I'm living. Like I'm watching a movie and wondering what the hell is going on with the lead character (me). Anyone else feel strange like this after giving up alcohol? I don't know how to describe it other than not feeling fully "awake" or aware.:wtf2 Like some sort of weird dream.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Hey there. Henry James fan here too.

Wow, you just brought back a lot for me. I remember feeling that way when I first stopped drinking. What helped was to get myself into places where there were other people going through what I was going to. I don't know where you live, but look up AA meetings online and go to the first one you can find that is nearby. Ask for help, get a schedule, find out about other outpatient programs you can participate in. People in the meetings want to help, whether it's exchanging phone numbers, driving to meetings, basically keeping you out of your head right now.

Originally Posted by least View Post
It's now been six days since my last drink. I feel better physically but mentally I feel really strange. I feel as tho my life consists of watching myself go thru the motions of being alive,but not really feeling that I'm living. Like I'm watching a movie and wondering what the hell is going on with the lead character (me). Anyone else feel strange like this after giving up alcohol? I don't know how to describe it other than not feeling fully "awake" or aware.:wtf2 Like some sort of weird dream.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Normal people are so hostile

Originally Posted by least View Post
You just summed up my life in a paragraph.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Your coming out of a fog.
Take it easy and be gentle to yourself.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Least

I'm not sure that's exactly how I would describe it, but yeah, the first few days are strange ones, indeed. Are you surprised at that?

I imagine withdrawing any psychoactive substance will result in some weirdness, be it caffeine, nicotine, maybe even chocolate for some.

The good news is that it gets better, and chances are that it could happen quickly. It did for me. I'm not saying that I don't struggle from time to time, but I haven't felt more mentally and emotionally "unstrange" in a long time. As long as I eat and sleep well, every day is a good day, whereas when I was drinking I was lucky to have a few "good" days/month.

Go for it, and best to you!

warrens
Old 03-18-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it's called reality!

For me it was quite a departure for awhile. I think I drank and did drugs for so long that I slipped into total desperation. Then without "medicating" I felt really wierd. I had to constantly remind myself why I wanted to get sober and turn to others in AA for hope.

I'd go to meetings and get encouragement from people who told their stories and shared their feelings; I could see they were happy and recovering so I took their advice and believed them to be sincere. I believed them because when they talked they were describing me, I knew they knew and it gave me hope that I was on the right track.

The fog lifted and it will for you, just have faith in your decision to get clean and sober. Give the miracle a chance to work!

Peace least...
Old 03-18-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done on your 6 days-they're some of the toughest!

What you're experiencing is normal.As chiy said-you're coming out of a fog and it takes a while for it to lift.I felt so strange when I first stopped drinking.Like I was standing 2 feet behing myself watching things happen to and around me but I wasn't really 'there'.It does pass. I think, too-part of the process is discovering who we are when we're not drinking-and that can be quite a different person to the one we were when we were drinking.It takes a while to adjust-physically and mentally.

Be kind to yourself and hang in there.It does get better,

Julesxox
Old 03-18-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd been drinking a long time...early recovery, I felt like an actor for a while - 'the part of Dee will now be played by...'

like others have said here, it does get better
D
Old 03-19-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Woke up this morning agitated almost like the first couple days of withdrawal. Made the mistake of having a little cup of coffee - wrong! I'll not drink coffee for a while. Still feeling really "disconnected" from reality - whatever that is. Am having terrible cravings for wine right now but am able to stave them off by repeating my new 'mantra': I DON'T WANT TO GO THRU WITHDRAWAL AGAIN!!! over and over. I haven't acted on my cravings so I guess I'm getting better at this. I have been going to meetings, just not every day. I will go to the one tonite tho. I know I'm going to make it this time, just wanted to let my feelings out before they blew up inside me.:praying

Is this agitation, stomach aches, and 'disconnectedness' what they call "post acute withdrawal"? How long does that last?