Notices

What would you do?

Old 03-17-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

What would you do?

I have an issue with the car I bought last week.
The reason I am asking here is because I am finding I am always second guessing myself anymore. I have lost my spine somewhere it feels like.
I was looking over the contract and saw that I was charged $1380. for an optional extended warranty that the salesman told me CAME with the car. I even said it after he did like..WOW it comes with a 2 year warranty? And he was like yes and pointed to a poster on the wall that had all the things that came with the warranty.
So by him saying it comes with the car leads me to believe it comes with the car nothing more.
But I look at the contract and I was charged $1380 for it and he also forged me and my grams initials to it.
We did sign the whole contract without looking it over completely.
I want the warranty.
But..I dont like the idea he forged my initials and didnt make it clear that it was optional.
So I am having a hard time with wanting to call him or his supervisor and bringing this up.
Because I do want it.
The guy was nice and I am lucky I got financed to begin with.
SO I am struggling bad with am I being too paranoid or does this really need to be brought to someones attention.
Recovery is so unsettling sometimes. Before I would have no problem calling anyone up and making my point.
Please let me know what you think.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Forgery is a crime. I would tell them you want the warranty free, since he sad "it comes with the car" and is one of the reasons you bought it to begin with. JMO
Old 03-17-2008, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would call and talk to him. Let him know that you are concerned. Recovery does not mean not having a backbone.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

The guy was nice and I am lucky I got financed to begin with.
Many times they know this and will take advantage of that fact.

Stand up for yourself, and do the right thing for you. You'll feel better for making it right.

If you had a daughter and someone did this to her, what would you do?

JMO...
Old 03-17-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Recovery doesn't have to mean that you allow people to take advantage of you. I struggle with this sometimes, too. To me, it means that you do what you need to do, but without 'losing yourself' in the whole thing. By that I mean, without getting really upset or anxious about the outcome. State the facts and then release it.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

The previous posters said it well. Recovery means being able to set boundaries it does not mean allowing yourself to be walked on. It is picking your battles sometimes. The man had no legal right to forge your initials and it would be something I would bring up to his supervisor. The extended warranties are where the salespeople make their extra money. So the salesperson lied, forged, and stole (he got money that he did not deserve). If you allow him to get by with it then you leave the door open for him to take advantage of the next person. If he has done this to you, how many other people has he taken advantage of over the years. Personally, I would talk to the supervisor and if they were not willing to make it right then I would make it clear that I will be seeking the advice of an attorney. That usually will get their attention. There can be strength in sobriety. We no longer have to be victims. We are responsible and that includes being responsible enough to stand up for ourselves and others when the case warrents.

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

I use to struggle with that too! I would confront him on the phone in regards to this situation-Say listen I noticed my intials were forged on this contract and I honestly want the warranty but as you implied to me it was at no additional cost. This needs to be rectified-if he starts to give you the run around then say to him ok we are going to take our business elsewhere. You could hang up and call the manager-and speak to him and say the same thing-that you are going to take your business elsewhere if this is not taken care of. It is against the law to forge and also false advertising!

Do not allow them to take advantage of you-Hold your head up high and speak out!

I went to buy a new car 2 years ago-The guy that was helping me was really nice until he found out that my credit was less than perfect....what he did not know was that I was paying mostly cash for the car. The guy was rude and not really interested in taking my business so I took it elsewhere-I bought a better SUV-and I drove in the lot with it and the guy actually came out to help me not knowing it was me- I said BIG mistake then drove away (that was early into recovery :rof ) I just always wanted to do something like that....just like Julia Roberts did in Pretty woman!

Good Luck Chiy! You are in control of this situation...they want something you have your MONEY! Do not allow yourself to fall victim to them!

We are cheering for you!! :
Old 03-17-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much all of you...I feel like I am making a big deal out of nothing alot of times.
But your right. He misled me and forged my initials.
Forgery is illegal.
I am calling right now.
Thx again.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lets us know what happens!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes let us know!

And ahhh nope not making a big deal....it is something that concerns you so to me when something concerns us there is a good reason-to make a stinkola about it!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good luck. By the way don't stress about sharing. That is what we are here for, to share our experience, strength, and hope. I needed that in early sobriety and still do today.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well he said That the finance company wont finance without it. He didnt say anything except that he didnt word it like that to me. But I know he did. And had nothing to say when I said I did not initial that section. He told I already signed the whole contract.
It took alot to even make that call. So I do want and need that warranty. So I am just going to let it go.
Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
where the light is

Yeah, don't let it affect your peace of mind. I don't like the backhanded way he did this but you needed it anyway I suppose. Good for you for sticking up for yourself!

(BTW, I've been burned by a finance company in the past - charged a monthly lease payment (direct withdrawal) 2 weeks after I took the car back & bought a new one from the same dealership - said it was part of the deal - okay, I'm not going to swear now...)
Old 03-17-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((Trish)))

I'm proud of you! I second-guessed myself a lot of times in early recovery, still do..so I come here and post.

I would look at this as a lesson learned. I've learned a few of those lessons myself. Now you know that before you sign any contract, read it over or at least make sure no one's forged your initials. It sucks that you have to pay for the warranty, but since you want it anyway, at least you have it.

I responded to an e-mail I thought was from my bank Sat., gave them all my personal info. 5 minutes later, I finally listened to my gut, called the bank to verify the e-mail and found out it was a fraud. I've had to close the account, open another one, contact the credit bureaus and a lot of other stuff. All this because I didnt listen to that little voice that said "this is probably a scam".

So, we stay clean, live and learn, and if we're smart, we reach out to friends when we're unsure of what to do.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-17-2008, 12:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am proud of you. It took a lot of strength and courage to make that call. You did great. What I hahve found is that when I have done the best I could do it is time to let it go and not allow it to control me any longer. You did your best and your best was good enough. The good news is you have a new car, a good warranty, and you are sober. Great job at all of the above. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-17-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

car salesmen have a knack for ripping people off. they often work on a very fine line to stay within the law and they know the loopholes.
i worked as a car salesman for about 3 weeks once.
you say he forged your initials. but perhaps he just filled the form in for you and you signed it - without reading the contract through.
i've signed contracts myself in a hurry only to find out later on i'd got something i hadn't bargained for.
don't be too hard on yourself. it happens.
i guess if it's really disturbing you you could always call them and ask if it might somehow be possible to clairfy the situation.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow Chi, that must have taken a lot of courage to call them, way to go!! Having a warranty is great and I would focus on the good in that rather than wonder if they scammed you. JMO
Old 03-17-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

well done for fronting up (((chiy))) and your not spinless, in my opinion here is what happens or did to me anyway.

When I was using (low self esteem and huge ego) I would stamp my foot front up and .....

In recovery I have a conscience and in early days some fear left that I have yet to deal wiuth. Checking with otehrs (sanity check) is teh right thing to do before manking any major decision. I use other members or my sponsor just to check I am on track.

Well done.

Kevin
Old 03-18-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great Job Chiy!

And I could not have put it better than Nan did! Focus on the good points! And pat yourself on the back for doing such an awesome job at picking up the phone! Early in recovery I would never have done that-hence why I was in the past taken advantage of so much! Now this little codie knows better! and be proud that you do too! "Progress not perfection" and you did the best you could do!