Notices

new to this

Old 02-19-2008, 12:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to this

Hi, I'm not sure what to do on here but here goes.

My brother has a drug addiction, it has gone from marijuana to cocaine to pills of different kinds. I don't know very much about drugs, but I know I'm scared for his life.

In highschool he was very popular. Everyone loved him, from the teachers to the students. I looked up to him as a big brother and although we wernt very close I was proud of him. He participated in plays and skits, everyone loved to hear him sing and play his guitar. We are only 15 months apart, so when he was a senior in highschool and I was a junior, we became closer, and started hanging out more. Then a month after he graduated he was arrested for possession. I could not believe it. I was so blind to this life I had no idea he was living. Most people wrote it off as being young. But it just got worse from there. Of course my parents threatened and tried to do what they could. He is known for his "bull" he can pull over anyone. He can do the worst thing ever, and convince you otherwise. He's done that for the past 3 or 4 years now. He's been through rehab, and halfway houses, and has come back stronger and better than ever. But, somehow, he seems to find the wrong crowds and slip right back to where he was before. My parents have lost years on their lives I just know, worrying about him. They have done nothing but given him numerous chances and supported him through it all. Its been and up and down battle that I know realize will never be over. In the recent weeks, it has come to our knowledge that he has stolen over $2000 from my grandmother, jewelery, and a stereo. The grandmother who has given him money over the years for college and he had RECENTLY revieved a big check this past christmas. She called him to confront him and he immediately began to cry. She told him she would not tell my parents but one of my aunts convinced her to. My parents hopped in the car, with my aunt and cousin, and drove about 10 hours to where he is living to confront him and try to get him help. I am the youngest of four, and my other brother and I decided to stay home, because we were so hurt and disgusted, and after all we have been through with him we had nothing left to say. I love my brother very much, but the only time I have ever seen my dad cry was the day he was arrested. My mom is taking this very hard, as she has finally done the "tough love" thing. They took away his cellphone, and his car. And this was very hard for them to do as they now have no way to reach him. My brother of course got defensive and immediately angry. Angry that they would "embarrass him with his aunt and cousin and sisters and brother". He does not realize the pain he puts us all through. I have no more tears left to cry, and I just started talking to him a few months ago after not speaking for about 6months. I know he has an addiction, and that is why he does the things he does, but I'm finding it hard to let it go this time. Last time it took almost a year, and I am afraid this time I will not be able to do so as quickly. There's so much more that I have left out, but it is way to much to write. I just know I have never experienced so many emotions in my life. Im scared for his life, but at the same time I am angry. Angry and sad, and hurt, and betrayed. I am in college right now and I find it very hard to deal with things when other things in my life go wrong, and these last two years have been a rollercoaster. I am scared to let my parents down after he has put them through, but at the same time I do not deal with things like this well. I love my brother, but I do not like him right now.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He's lucky to have a sister like you that cares enough to write. I hope things get better. You might want to check out the friends and family forum. People there will have a better perspective than I can give. Unfortunately, I was the one driving my family crazy. I can tell you, however, that recovery is possible. I've been sober 12 years now. Miracles happen.
Mike
Old 02-19-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is the link to the Forum Mike mentioned.
You might want to read and share there.
The top sticky post are a good way to begin.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tance-abusers/

Blessings to you and your family