Notices

Some more fog was lifted today...

Old 01-26-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some more fog was lifted today...

I've been hanging around AA rooms for a little bit now (60 days sober), and every now and then I will get a "lightbulb" moment about things that I have been hearing in the rooms. A lot of things don't make sense at first and then I will have a revelation.

Tonight I realized that most of the time I want to drink it's not because I want to get drunk, rather I just don't want to feel the feeling I am having at that moment. For instance, today I was in a rotten mood and really wanted to drink. I didn't necessarily want to do the physical act of drinking, but I sure wanted to be drunk. I realized tonight I wanted to drink simply because I didn't want to be in a bad mood, and drinking would allow me to escape that feeling. I wouldn't necessarily get out of my bad mood by drinking but I wouldn't have to feel it anymore if I got drunk.

I also gained a better understanding of "this too shall pass". It's not so much that feeling like drinking will go away, but more that the underlying feeling will eventually go away and therefore I won't want to drink over it. In the beginning I thought it was just that the wanting to drink will go away, but I guess I'm saying that if I wait a bit the bad feeling will go away. I'm not really sure if this made sense to anyone but myself, but it was a profound moment and I wanted to share it.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Made tons of sense User_Name..... in so much as ANY of this makes sense....

HuGGGGGGGGGs~~~~
Old 01-26-2008, 09:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

absolutely made sense to me!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

good for you!

and yeah - that *was* a bit pink-less of you to observe.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing your journey UserName...
Old 01-26-2008, 11:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing User Name, it makes total sense.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
where the light is

These are two of the primary tools that I use in my recovery, how I try to live.

In the past my belief was always: "I feel horrible, I drink, I feel better" or "I feel great, I drink, I feel even greater". Such BS, especially at the end. I am trying to accept the negative emotions & enjoy the positive feelings as just a part of life. Certainly nothing to drink over!

I have also kept a journal for over a year. I've read through it and almost 100% of the time, if I am anxious about something one day, the next day is fine! Always blowing things out of proportion and worrying over nothing! There is much truth in "this too shall pass".

Thanks, User_Name for the very important post.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, User Name, the drinking is just a symptom. For me, I had to take a hard look at myself and my life and deal with things I had been avoiding for years. It's a process, like peeling an onion, but it works.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

User Name: Thanks for the post and the reminder of why I always seemed to pick up a drink.

I have 10 days sober today and it is always good to have a reminder of what it was the helped lead me to the bottle. I'm in counseling dealing with some of the "things" I need to deal with and that has been helpful as I learn to not "hide" from what I am feeling.

My wife says she is so glad to finally get to meet the "real" me after 9 years of marriage and that she loves me even more each day I am sober. I am a lucky man!

Take care and keep posting, this place really has been a godsend to me!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That does make sense!
I'm sure that realizing this will help you tremendously in your recovery!