Notices

Cognitive-behavioral therapy?

Old 02-24-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I see a phychoanalyst and he has been extremely helpfull in pointing out to me why I drink and have an addictive personality but not helpfull in getting me to quit. It's all Freudian academics with him.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Felly, that seems to be the case with a lot of Freudians. That's the basic criticism towards psychoanalysis, that it's all about insight. Freud himself wrote that alcoholics and coke addicts were "untreatable". But they're gradually shifting towards seeing sobriety as a condition for therapy, not a result. Do you find his insights useful?
Old 02-24-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I just don't see how being told I have the emotional development of a twelve-year-old helps me, it just makes me feel worse lol. Maybe if there was a therapy that combined psychoanalysis with something like CBT, but maybe there already is? Yes, he is more helpful than I'm making it seem though.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

As far as I know, there is no therapy that combines CBT + psychodynamics. That's why I went through both and tried to hold on to what I learned from both perspectives. I'm not big on the never-ending psychoanalysis though, three years was more than enough for me - too brutal!
Old 02-24-2008, 03:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

And self-knowledge only takes you so far, which brings us to the 7th Step!
Old 02-24-2008, 03:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi guys, I started (twice) to respond to points, but then thought 'well every one has a valid point in one way or another', so let's leave it at that.

Except to say that it's 'horses for courses' (do you have that saying outside the UK?!). Which I think someone else has said in any case..

No discussion or argument left in me, I am struggling with myself in lots of ways and just intend to try and work through my problems, including drink, the best way I can for me.

Good luck to all of you too..
Old 02-24-2008, 05:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Kickit,

I'm sorry you're you are going through such pain and frustration. Sending lots of hugs and love your way!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

"Horses for courses"... I think this is the first time I've heard that phrase...

Let's see now... (Doing some quick research)... Okay...

"Something suitable for one person may not be suitable for another"... I think I get it... The opposite would be "what's good for the goose is good for the gander"...

I think the American version of it would be, "To each his own" or "Whatever works for you".

Old 02-25-2008, 04:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post

"Something suitable for one person may not be suitable for another"... I think I get it... The opposite would be "what's good for the goose is good for the gander"...

I think the American version of it would be, "To each his own" or "Whatever works for you".

Hi GreenTea, yeah, you got it.. We have some of the sayings you quoted too. Lots of sayings inthe UK which I am sure are shared across the world, and some that are 'totally English' - and lots that are regional. I am from Yorkshire where, like other regions, we have our own dialect and little pearls of wisdom.

What about 'the kettle calling the pot black' (not aimed at anyone..honest!), 'I'm that hungry I could eat a scabby horse and go back for the jockey' - yuck and sorry, sorry to horse lovers, no offense meant!

Or- very deep (old) yorkshire 'eeeee love, 21 and never been run over by a pot mole cart'???!!!! My grandmother said that to me on my 21st birthday, I think she meant I thought I was grown up, but had a lot to learn. How right she was! The way these are said are quite different too, but can't put that across in writing - so written the 'posh version' !

Bet everyone else has loads too. Hey this could be a whole new thread in the 'Follies'!

Feeling brighter today, thanks for the good wishes and the light hearted responses GT and Felly. Take care all.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:02 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

...where, like other regions, we have our own dialect and little pearls of wisdom...
...and your own version of Morris Dancing too, no doubt! LOL!

...the kettle calling the pot black...
We have that one too, but its flipped around... "That's the pot calling the kettle black", and "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"... They're both about hypocracy, (which is exactly what the song, "The Pot" by Tool is about).

"So hungry I could eat a horse", yep... "If I'm going to work like a horse then I'm going to eat like one too"... "Both you and the horse you rode in on"... "And your little dog Toto too"...

"Never been run over by a pot mole cart", (what's a "pot mole cart"?)... I don't think we have that one... I think our equivalents might be, "Sweet 16 and never been kissed" (inexperienced) and "Getting too big for your britches" (thinking you're bigger/wiser/stronger/more experienced than you actually are, getting c0cky).

"Americans and Brits -- two peoples separated by a common language"...
Old 02-25-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

:hijacked: from CBT somewhat, SORRY!!

We have the glass houses and stones, didn't know about the song 'The Pot'. Never heard of that, will have to look that up.

"If I'm going to work like a horse then I'm going to eat like one too"... Get that, but never heard it.

"Both you and the horse you rode in on"... "And your little dog Toto too"... What's that?? Sort of 'get lost'?!!

I never found out what a "pot mole cart" was, I didn't ask at the time, probably too amazed. My mum doesn't know. It is probably dialect that is now lost. I know "Sweet 16 and never been kissed" and "Getting too big for your britches" .

Hey what about 'a blind man on a flying horse would be glad to see it' (means it's ok as it is, it will do, stop worrying and leave it be ...something like that!!)

"Americans and Brits -- two peoples separated by a common language - yep!! But we take up things from each other don't we? Like 'AWESOME' and 'talk to the hand....' we got that one from you guys!

Going off to Morris Dance now...LOL!!
Old 02-25-2008, 12:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

back to CBT

Did anyone see this (old) post, it's interesting...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ctiveness.html