Notices

Recovery is a gift

Old 01-04-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery is a gift

I am 92 days sober. Actually, tomorrow is 93 days. It is unbelievable for me considering where I was in this past year. I had just given up. Total hopelessness, helplessness, and nothing but the empty shell of a human. I can still feel that pain like it was yesterday. Deep inside knowing I wanted to stay sober, fighting against it instead of accepting it, and I fell deeper and deeper down. But today as I face life as it is without the crutch of alcohol or drugs, I realize that I have more strength than I even think right now. I'm going through some things with my family that are pretty bad and it is very difficult. It is someone in my family who is in active addiction and has fallen beyond anything we can reach. I can't change another person, but I can hold my head up high and walk with grace and dignity and be glad that I'm in recovery. I'm so thankful right now because that could be me.. but I chose recovery and I'm walking in the light of recovery instead of the shadows of alcohol/drug addiction. I am humbled when I think of the gift that I've been given... it is a gift.

Last edited by Hope; 01-04-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers that all who are still suffering will find their way.

Thanks for sharing your positive progress!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a body that can't handle alcohol and a mind that tells me I can

The only drink I have to stay away from is the first one (said so wonderfully by Kevin)
Old 01-05-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Way to go Cheryl

Kevin
Old 01-05-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Cheryl..I am glad you posted this. It shows me that we are going to come across hard times still in life but if we choose to stay sober. We dont have to add to it.
Because I think alot of people including myself. And I caught myself yesterday when I started getting aggravated. That just because we are in recovery doesnt mean life is going to be without flaws.
Like one counselor said. "You dont get hit with a recovery stick." Life is life on life's terms.
I am sorry you are going through another addiction with a family member. And I hope They find their way.
Maybe take that as how your loved ones were when you were using. Now your on the outside looking in.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Recovery is definitely worth it. Alcohol and drugs will make any situation worse. I have gotten so wrapped up in problems, that I became restless and ungrateful but that is not a good place for me to be.

So I am focusing on the healing that will come.

I'll be honest with you though. I'm so early in recovery, that the emotional rollercoaster is intense.

I mean, what's up with this?

I can be laughing one minute and crying the next. I do struggle with emotions in early sobriety.

But it's so worth it.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

you are doing the right things, hope. the rewards will continue! blessings, k
Old 01-05-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Struggling with emotions I seem to be going through a heck of a phase or something here lately. I am pretty sure though the reason is because I no longer take any medications at all for depression and or my serequeol (sp) and I think that I am finally able to actually feel.

It hasn't been pleasant to deal with either. I find myself very negative about a lot of things and have really been struggling with a lot of issues also.

One thing Hope is that you and everyone else deserves the peace. I am so happy to hear that you have a good outlook on things and yes a positive attitude helps.

Staying away from the first one is very important.... However it reminds me of a guy here that relapsed...wondering what happened we had to ask him...

He goes well heck everyone says that it is the first one you have to stay away from so I went to the bar and I ordered my usual JD and Budweiser and when the bartender brought them to me I pushed them away. He than went on to say that he ordered the next round and proceeded to drink. LMAO that is really alcoholic thinking.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time Hope, and best wishes with everything.