Notices

Everything Old is New Again!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Everything Old is New Again!

Of course, since this is a Newcomers forum, there are many who qualify to post in the "Less than 2 Weeks"/"Under 3 Months" threads. But, lest anyone here get the impression those of us with X number of years are immune to the pitfalls of alcoholism, perhaps some of us Decrepit Alcoholics would share how we maintain sobriety, and why we continue to visit a Newcomers forum as part of our recovery.

I know you're out there...so, don't be shy!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks, Nonny...hmmm...how do i maintain my sobriety and recovery....First of all, I LIVE by "keep it simple" ! for example, as i have said b4, I choose not to live one day at a time because the day is long. I prefer to live moment to moment and this is EXTREMELY helpful to me. I also exercise my creative mind and attempt to keep a sense of humor and open mind. Several years ago I stopped looking for ways to plug recovery into my life and starting looking for ways to plug my life into recovery. I could go on and on -- I LOVE recovery I LOVE life...and truthfully...as crazy as it sounds..experience tells me it will continue to get better as long as I countinue to do my part. WOOOOHOOOOOO!!

and why do i hang around a newcomer's area? well...newcomers are what it's all about. We learn from them at least as much as they learn from us. SOoooo...thank you to all the newcomers!!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

And, thanks for your response, Slash! I find the Steps so ingrained in my psychie, that I'm "living" them without even being conscious that I'm doing so...it just becomes second nature, so to speak. I learned early on that there's more to sobriety than putting the plug in the jug...and, having a tried and true program of recovery makes it a lot easier to maintain a sober lifestyle.

Believing as I do that, the further I am from my last drink, the closer I am to my next, it becomes more and more necessary for me to surround myself with those who are still in early recovery. Which means my reasons for participating in the Newcomers forum are simple enough. They help to keep my memory green...keep me from forgetting to remember, so that I'm not tempted to repeat. We truly can do together what we cannot do alone!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jersey Nonny View Post
And, thanks for your response, Slash! I find the Steps so ingrained in my psychie, that I'm "living" them without even being conscious that I'm doing so...it just becomes second nature, so to speak. I learned early on that there's more to sobriety than putting the plug in the jug...and, having a tried and true program of recovery makes it a lot easier to maintain a sober lifestyle.

Believing as I do that, the further I am from my last drink, the closer I am to my next, it becomes more and more necessary for me to surround myself with those who are still in early recovery. Which means my reasons for participating in the Newcomers forum are simple enough. They help to keep my memory green...keep me from forgetting to remember, so that I'm not tempted to repeat. We truly can do together what we cannot do alone!
Right On! I know exactly what you mean about the "second nature" What a blessing!! and thanks again -- this is a great topic of discussion
Old 01-04-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Hi Jersey - your welcome to jump in the "3 months & Under Club" anytime, we know that those of you in "long term" recovery have a ton of ESH that we can learn from.

We're not trying to be exclude anyone.
It's just been fun to set goals for ourselves and keep pulling each other along to that next milestone, 2 wks, 3 months, whatever.

Our little newbie wagon has been a fun ride so far, I hope no is taking any offense to it.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

No offense taken...it's just that some might get the mistaken impression that those of us who've been around for a while "have it made"...nothing is further from the truth! And, it's important for us to be mindful of that, and never let our guard down. We need you "newcomers" just as much as you need us...maybe even more. When you've put a few years together...and, you will, I assure you...you'll understand what I mean.

So, not to be outdone by you Newbies, we're setting some goals of our own...onward and upward!!! The sky's the limit!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Thanks for saying that Jersey - that's exactly how I took it, as well.

Just because I am in recovery, doesn't mean I'm not still an alcoholic with an addictive mindset. IT's still 'all about me' I can just share the spotlight for a greater amount of thime than before.

I'm wit choo, too - KEEP IT FREAKIN SIMPLE!

And laugh.
Nothing is funnier to watch than a sober alcoholic.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I remember being at my group meeting (a big room that held at least 100 people), and one of the guys sitting next to me said, "If you think God doesn't have a sense of humor...look around you."
Old 01-06-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

C'mon...you OT's...stand up and be counted!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will be a year sober on Jan 17th. I am still very much the newcomer. I don't feel like an oldtimer AT ALL.

I like hanging out with newcomers too. Reminds me of where I was and that I do not want to go back.

Thanks for the thread jersey!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Good to "see" you, tanya! I think hanging out with the "younguns" keeps me feeling young...keeps my sobriety fresh and new...don't ever want to feel like a stale old fuddy-duddy!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank's Jersey

It's like when you tryed to fool your parents and forgot they were kids to.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread, Rae. I'll come back and post on it a bit later.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Thanks for this thread, Rae. I'll come back and post on it a bit later.
OK, Rowan...where did you disappear to?
Old 01-08-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Having myself a "mini-meltdown" today...and, not sure why. Am fighting the urge to find a quiet corner and have myself a good cry! Reminds me of one of my favorite Ziggy sayings, "Everytime I think I've got it all together, I forget where I put it." In case anyone new to sobriety should read this...longevity doesn't necessarily keep the doldrums away!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

This, too, did pass! Enjoyed Spring in January weather today...got outside for some fresh air in the 65 degree temps...that always makes me feel better.