Notices

Help!!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Help!!

Anybody out there experienced the "dry drunk syndrome" whether themselves or a loved one??

Alternatively is there an expert out there on this topic??
Old 01-02-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Anybody out there experienced the "dry drunk syndrome" whether themselves or a loved one??

Alternatively is there an expert out there on this topic??
Typed it into Google and it came up with a whole bunch of links...

http://www.minnesotarecovery.info/li...e/drydrunk.htm

Dry drunk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alcoholics Anonymous Reviews: Dry Drunk Syndrome

Hope you find something that helps...
Old 01-02-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well I started suffering the dry drunk syndrome every time I quit drinking for 5 years, it always drove me back to drinking.

You see for 5 years I would quit for a week or 2 and be down right miserable, all I would do was think about how nice a drink would be, how much better I felt when I was drinking! I would slowly reach a state of hating everything and everyone around me because in some way I blamed them for me not drinking, heck I even had my wife or kids suggest I have a drink because I was a real jerk!!!!

What I found out later was that when the only thing I changed about myself was not drinking I was a dry drunk, I was a drunk who was not drinking and that was a miserable place to be so I always went back to what I knew and that was drinking!

Once I got into AA I learned that in order to not be miserable and obsess about drinking I had to change!!!! I had to change me in more ways then just not drinking in order to become free of that mental obsession.

Through the 12 steps I have changed and as a result I am not the person I was before, today I live life on lifes terms and as a result of this change I am happy and free of alcohol.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to our recovery community, Rudolph.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I think Taz's personal experience, and the way he described it, says it all! The only one I knew who showed all the symptoms of a "dry drunk" was my brother-in-law. All five of his kids were in some kind of recovery program, so he decided to quit drinking. OMG...was he miserable to be around!!! He never did go to meetings himself, but I think some of the program must have rubbed off of his family on to him, because he did mellow out after a while.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess I have been in denial for a long time. Thanx for your honesty Taz and just one question as dont drink heavily anymore. Does it make a difference being at this dry drunk stage in terms of attending AA

Thanx ALL
Old 01-02-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

OK...If you're on a "dry drunk", it means you're doing everything you did before, except drinking. Since the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to quit drinking...go to it! Hope you'll just be open-minded...take what you need, and leave the rest. Good Luck!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you are thinking of a healthy sober future!
...Welcome to SR!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for your suppport guys. Will check out "my local" next week.

Bye for now
Old 01-03-2008, 05:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Does it make a difference being at this dry drunk stage in terms of attending AA
Heck no!!! You can be a wet drunk and still be more then welcome to AA, as already said the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. In reality if one comes into their first AA meeting as a dry drunk they may get the program of recovery easier then if they just stopped drinking, but every one is different. The 2 most important things to gain good sobriety is honesty and willingness.