Notices

Why Now?

Old 12-22-2007, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Why Now?

I've been sitting here thinking about quitting drinking this time of year. I mean who in the world would try to quit right in the middle of the holiday season. One reason after another for a party. Company Christmas Party, Neighborhood Party, Christmas Eve, Christmas, Boxing Day, New Years, etc. So many temptations!

I had serious doubts about trying to get sober this time of year and from the posts of a few others (Weeks, CurliQ), I'm not alone.

But then it dawned on me, there is no better time to do it, at least for me, and here's why.

Yes - there are a lot of temptations this time of year for us new to sobriety; but it also a slow down time of year. My work will be slow next week and the following week. That's gives me the next 2 weeks to put as much effort into my sobriety as I can.

I have more free time this time of year then any other to attend meetings, read books about recovery, read and post here on SR, focus on getting healthy.
With this past week behind me, when I return to work, full blast on 1/7/08, I will have 3 full weeks of sobriety under my belt. And that will be amazing.
I would rather deal with the cravings and all the other stuff that comes with new found sobriety during this slow period than later when the pressures of work and life return to normal.

My work really takes off in the next few months, so I'm glad I'm dealing with this now, when I have the time to really focus on getting and staying sober.

Anyway, I just wanted to get my thoughts out. I hope the timing for those of you with less than 2 wks sober works out as well for you as it will for me.

In the words of the Red Hot Chili Peppers "there's no better time, than right now!"

God Bless and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

"Give it away,give it away, give it away now" is right! Give away the old life for a new one. You won't reget it. Good luck on your road to recovery.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Recovery a great gift to yourself!

Old 12-22-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with what you said. Now I won't have to take time off or try to do this while working. I think that would be more pressure. Truth is, no matter what time of year I decided to do this I could ALWAYS come up with some excuse to jump off that wagon being pulled at 60 mph.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
where the light is

Last year, I went the entire holiday season without a drink. First time since I was a kid. My family was so happy. It will feel awesome on January 1, 2008.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

the sooner you quit the better
Old 12-22-2007, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations, happiness is every where, you dont have to even try hard